Following Comcast and Verizon deals, Netflix signs streaming-traffic agreement with AT&T

Shawn Knight

Staff member

netflix comcast verizon att streaming peering arrangement interconnect agreement

In the wake of similar deals with rivals Comcast and Verizon, Netflix has reached an agreement with AT&T for direct access to their networks. It's a move that'll allow Netflix to sidestep congested Internet pipelines largely responsible for poor performance when streaming from the popular video service.

In an e-mailed statement to Mashable, AT&T confirmed they reached an interconnect agreement with Netflix in May and have been working with them ever since to improve the viewing experience for their mutual subscribers. AT&T said they just now starting to turn on the new connections, a process that'll be complete in the coming days.

As the publication points out, these interconnect agreements (sometimes also called peering agreements) are commonplace on the Internet. The goal has traditionally been to balance traffic between providers but recently, Internet providers have been requesting compensation for such agreements.

Netflix is pretty much at the mercy of Internet providers and is having to pay up. It's unclear just how much AT&T is charging for the direct connection although I suspect it's probably in line with what Comcast and Verizon command.

Such an agreement wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for Netflix's tremendous popularity. Just over a week ago, the site announced it has more than 50 million total subscribers spanning some 40 countries around the globe. If Netflix wants to keep these customers happy and continue to attract new members, they will have to do everything in their power to make sure content is delivered in a high quality fashion.

Permalink to story.

Well thats one way to get rid of netflix.. make them bankrupt with all these scammy streaming traffic agreements... which is also illegal is it not? pretty sure I heard it was...

The streaming protocol should be sold as a separate, metered channel on broadband. We have TV, phone, an Internet, we should have TV, phone, internet, and stream. no reason us ordinary users should pay for Netfix' largesse

So I guess ATT wrote this for you Shawn? Come on. You're supposed to know better. This article is absent any nuance, save the middle paragraph. Internet traffic and structure are much more complex than this, and Netflix (which has a net revenue that's laughable compared to ATT) is getting screwed while the FCC sits on its *** and cowtows. I don't expect you guys to be Ars or anything, but this is about the tenth half-assed article I've seen this month from this place. Techspot=removed from daily reading. Maybe I'll be back in a couple months.

The streaming protocol should be sold as a separate, metered channel on broadband. We have TV, phone, an Internet, we should have TV, phone, internet, and stream. no reason us ordinary users should pay for Netfix' largesse

How are "you ordinary users" paying for Netflix "largesse?" Netflix is the one paying ATT, not the other way around. ATT is not going to raise prices on customers due to increased Netflix streaming. Netflix will be the one raising prices for streaming due to having to pay the broadband providers, so if you are just a "ordinary" broadband user and not a Netflix subscriber, you should see no increase in price.

How are "you ordinary users" paying for Netflix "largesse?" Netflix is the one paying ATT, not the other way around. ATT is not going to raise prices on customers due to increased Netflix streaming. Netflix will be the one raising prices for streaming due to having to pay the broadband providers, so if you are just a "ordinary" broadband user and not a Netflix subscriber, you should see no increase in price.

Your bill did increase, it was just hidden as some other fee. ATT, Comcast, and Verizon are getting away with a triple dip at the money trough and we customers are allowing it to happen.

And after all that, wouldn't it have been better to just let them download the movies, even steal them? America just has these vigilante groups that punish people for violating their self created rules and they happen to be absolutely wrong, the mpaa. Comcast in our building still has only 2 meg download speed at night due to netflix/xfinity. Rent a blu ray dvd. Some can be rented from your library for free.

Back