TechSpot

Following HBO's cue, CBS launches standalone subscription service

By Shawn Knight
Oct 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. CBS has announced plans to offer a standalone streaming service called CBS All Access. The subscription-based service will allow subscribers to watch live television as well as thousands of new and past hit shows on-demand without having to pay for...

Read more

2. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

$5/mo for a channel that is already free over the air and they're still restricting it to only show up 24 hours after it aired?

That's just ridiculous. I bought an HDHomerun a few years ago so we can watch Live over-the-air TV on any of our computers or android devices. One of my antennas are attached to an HTPC that just records anything we'd like to save for later.

Much simpler, less restrictions AND you can fast forward commercials that CBS will inevitably force you to watch on your paid subscription.

SNGX1275 and Mandark57 like this.
  3. Mandark57

Mandark57 TS Rookie Posts: 19

Too bad I detest 99.99997% of all American made commercial television.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is the only show I care for! LOL

Sorry CBS.

4. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Booster Posts: 156   +31

Uhhh no

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

I also have an HTPC hooked up to an antenna and I can record anything I want too... but there's still a huge market for this. it's not just about deciding when you watch a show... this will allow you to watch old episodes. right now there are no CBS shows on netflix or hulu or anything else. People will love to watch old episodes of their favorite shows, and new viewers can watch a series from the beginning and do it 3 episodes a night if they want.
    Not to mention the possibility of kids shows that Netflix doesn't have.

I'll don't know the CBS catalog, but I'll bet this gets decently popular.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  6. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Guys...this is a good step forward; hopefully with more competition we'll see better terms!

NightAngel79 and 9Nails like this.
  7. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

So they'll be cutting off the free streaming service on their website? Oh well, I'll miss BBT even though the show isn't that great anymore. Most of the rhetoric has become repetitive and tiresome but I still keep up with it anyway. I refuse to "tune in" in a day and age that I shouldn't have to watch tv on a schedule. I will not be a slave to a TV network.

8. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

STUPID. get OTA antenna and hook it up to a tv card and skip paying all this bs fees.