Following the success of Doom, it looks as if id Software's next project will be a Quake reboot

midian182

Staff member

Before it was released, there were several worrying signs - poor multiplayer beta reactions, no early review copies - that suggested the new Doom title may be disappointing. Thankfully, the game has beet met with an overwhelmingly positive response from both fans and critics alike. Now, it looks as if developer id Software will be bringing back another one of its classic first-person shooters from days gone by: Quake.

The news comes after ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Doom publisher Bethesda and id Software, posted several job listings on its official website for positions at the developer’s Dallas and Frankfurt studios, most of which specifically mention Quake.

Several of the vacancies, including those for lead gameplay programmer, art supervisor, senior physics programmer, and senior lighting artist, are seeking candidates who can “work as part of a development team on legendary id game properties like Doom and Quake.”

After being released way back in 1996, the original game and its four sequels went on to sell over 4 million copies worldwide. While many say Doom is still the most influential first-person shooter of all time, plenty will argue that Quake should hold that honor.

With the rebooted Wolfenstein games and now Doom proving so popular, it wouldn’t at all be a surprise to see a Quake game reimagined on today’s hardware. It’s been nine years since the last entry in the franchise – Enemy Terrority: Quake Wars – so we’re definitely due a return to the series. But whether id Software can get Trent Reznor back to compose the music remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Sweet. Normally I don't like seeing reboot after reboot, but Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake have been left alone long enough that a reboot is welcome. Not to mention Wolfenstein and Doom were both done very well so far.

Cool! I guess id would have to go for quake 2 for the reboot battling the strogg as the original quake would be too much like the doom reboot with all the daemons and undead but if they go for a team arena style game it would have to be multiplayer only as it would be hard to tack a single player story mode onto it. Any how, no matter what they do, I hope they bring back the rocket jump and secret hidden game levels.

This reboot of Doom has many elements of Quake already baked in.
Look closely ...
Yes I've noticed... That's why I think it would be too close to doom. were as quake 2 at least has a stronger identity to work with. I'm on my second play through of doom and it does have a similar feel "game play wise" to original quake.

Hell yes!!!! I grew up on Quake. 1997 - 1999 spending my lunch breaks and computer class in the computer lab playing Quake over LAN. The most fun I ever had!!! Or at least, it sure feels that way. I enjoyed single player too. I enjoyed it so much I still go back and play through Quake on nightmare about every year or so. Now with VR coming out I really look forward to playing old Quake in VR.

Now there may be a new Quake coming?!?!?! I hope they stick to the original elements, with gothic undertones. The world in Quake just oozed feeling, from the visuals, to the sound effects... it was very absorbing. Personally I would love to actually see the original remade with new graphics, but the same maps, monsters, weapons, etc. but I know that will never happen. Either way I'm excited with this news.

I never was a huge Doom fan, and while I admit I think it defined what an FPS was I think Quake really carried the FPS on its continued existence.

For those of you that LOVED Quake, check out this video going over all its facets in history. It's an hour long!

Maybe it's finally time for a Quake IV follow up. If I recall correctly, it ended with you killing the Strogg leader (again), and leaving them in disarray.

This reboot of Doom has many elements of Quake already baked in.
Look closely ...

I was about to say that a Quake reboot is a bit redundant at this point.

Don't get me wrong, the new DOOM is fantastic. But to identify it as anything other than a DOOM-skinned Quake is to spin a lie.

The Quake soundtrack was epic !

Hell yes!!!! I grew up on Quake. 1997 - 1999 spending my lunch breaks and computer class in the computer lab playing Quake over LAN. The most fun I ever had!!! Or at least, it sure feels that way. I enjoyed single player too. I enjoyed it so much I still go back and play through Quake on nightmare about every year or so. Now with VR coming out I really look forward to playing old Quake in VR.

Now there may be a new Quake coming?!?!?! I hope they stick to the original elements, with gothic undertones. The world in Quake just oozed feeling, from the visuals, to the sound effects... it was very absorbing. Personally I would love to actually see the original remade with new graphics, but the same maps, monsters, weapons, etc. but I know that will never happen. Either way I'm excited with this news.

I never was a huge Doom fan, and while I admit I think it defined what an FPS was I think Quake really carried the FPS on its continued existence.

For those of you that LOVED Quake, check out this video going over all its facets in history. It's an hour long!

I am saying the DOOM reboot is a DOOM-themed Quake. Thus making a Quake reboot redundant.

I guess it depends on what new ground a Quake-reboot would break but I now see what you were saying.
You were expanding on what I pointed out.

The interrelationships are long standing, so redundancy is probably not the proper word.
If a Quake-reboot were to happen, it would have to be pushing some major thematic boundaries IMHO.
Introduce some new foes.
The new engine is ready and waiting ...

Well Doom and Quake are different stories and locations. While there will certainly be redundancies because they are similar play styles, weapons, demons, etc. they would still be different games. This of course depends on if they continue on from the original Quake, or the Quake II or IV where the Strogg are the enemy. I'd prefer going back to the original Quake story and continuing from that. Or going before the story. While I thought both the original Quake story and the Strogg from 2 and 4 were good, I prefer the visuals, feelings, and atmosphere of the original Quake. In my mind that would be a Quake-reboot, from the original Quake.

Doom and Quake are so close to each other that what really needs to happen is... Doom 2: The Quakening. I'm more partial to the space marines of Quake 2 but I would still enjoy it the same if they went gothic-OG Quake 1. Any which way these two franchises need to merge in to one. They are just too similar. Damn I love that armor pick-up sound effect!

They better not make the multiplayer anything like DOOM's and stay true to QUAKE. DOOM's multiplayer is complete dog ****.

A new Quake and Heretic would be awesome. Loved both in the old days.

I would also like to see a new Raptor: Call of the Shadows, a proper Master of Magic remake, a new Aliens vs Predator or just simply Predator game...

Back