For want of a nail, the Kingdom was lost?

Archean

Why Nokia failed: 'Wasted 2,000 man years' on UIs that didn't work

Andrew Orlowski, over at The Register has summarized the events which led to sad but eventual demise of Nokia's beloved Symbian platform, and more importantly its 'independence' due to such lack of vision. More specifically the height of incompetence was allowing different teams to develop two UI API's which were totally incompatible resulting in wastage of resources, precious time and more importantly competitive edge. Mark Wilcox's account of how things went from bad to worse is an interesting read perhaps all of this is a good case study as well.

I personally think its absolutely, and utterly shocking tbh!

Basically millions lost, market shares lost, and huge financial gain lost.

If they were an government organisation or department they'd no longer exist!

It is indeed, considering all the deficiencies on the software side, I still fondly remember my last Symbian cell i.e. E65, it was solid/reliable/excellent device, but it also showed that Symbian was starting to age. Unfortunately, nothing 'serious' was done to come up with something which excites its user base; they forgot the most important aspect of selling a product i.e. 'experience'. iPhone flies off shelves because it symbolizes 'user experience' unlike anything else. Even though many wouldn't agree with it, or doesn't like it, but fact is it is true. Android is trying to 'imitate' that experience, and WP is trying to 'create' something similar; lets hope Nokia's gamble plays out well.

If they were an government organisation or department they'd no longer exist!
Maybe, but I wouldn't lay money on it.
For want of a nail, the Kingdom was lost?
"Now is the Winter of our discontent, made glorious Summer by this son of York"....!

(That's from "Richard the 3rd" too, albeit a bit more directly).

Back