Forced restart during streaming/uploading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Ive recently been having this problem and would like some help please.

My computer immediately restarts whenever i try to watch any streaming video online, and when i try to download/upload any video.

Other than this, the computer appears to be working fine. (eg. I can run computer games, download programs and files, but just cant watch videos). I have an AMD sempron 2800 processor, and a Radeon 9600 graphics card.

Ive tried McAfee virus scans and AVG virus scan. I've also run Spybot S&D. All three programmes found problems, but 'fixed' them. I have also tried playing a streaming video with the computer case cover off, just incase it was a over-heating problem. No luck!! A little help please?...

Often missing or corrupted codecs can cause your issues.I would check the files you are trying to view to confirm you have the correct ones.
You should also run "dxdiag.exe" at the Run box to test your system.

i tried running "dxdiag.exe" to test the system and everything appears to be working properly.

how can i 'check the files' that i want to view? If i click on a streaming video clip, the computer restarts immediately without giving me time to check the properties of that file.

i tried watching a video clip online today and the computer rebooted. On the restart, i went into control panel (event viewer) to find out what happened. This is the "event":

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 12/31/2006
Time: 8:27:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ******
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfccf587, 0xba2ab9cf, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini123106-01.dmp.

I hope this makes some sense to you?
--------------------

p.s, if it is a problem with a corrupted codec, what would the solution be?

Turn off Automatic Restart in Control Panel-System-Advanced-System Recovery-Settings. This will give you enough time to see things like this that happen from time to time

i have turned off the auto restart, but it makes no difference. I think the problem is definitely to do with missing or corrupted media codecs.

There is a free software to check all codecs on your machine I think it was at a site for Divx 5 ,and I cannot check today.In the meantime try a "web search".
Also, you can check the "property sheet of a media file without opening it , just right click it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back