Ford’s Alan Mulally said to be the frontrunner for top job at Microsoft

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ford alan mulally lead ceo microsoft

Ford CEO Alan Mulally is now the frontrunner for the top job at Microsoft. The 68-year-old Mulally reportedly had little interest in the position at first but is now warming up to the idea according to sources close to the situation as reported by All Things D.

Mulally has been at the helm of Ford for seven years now, so what makes him a good fit for the soon-to-be-vacant job in Redmond? For starters, he does have ties to the Seattle area as he was once the CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. He maintains a home in the area and would reportedly like to return there.

He also served as a close advisor to current Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer during his recent effort to restructure management at Redmond. And earlier this month, Reuters reported the Ford board granted Mulally the freedom to step down from his position earlier than his contract initially called for should he choose to. 

At the time, some speculated he might be interested in taking a position in the Obama administration but given the recent Microsoft rumors, perhaps he is more interested in trying to steer the technology giant back in the right direction.

Longtime Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer announced last month that he would be retiring within the next 12 months. He’s been in charge of Microsoft for more than 13 years after taking over the role from co-founder Bill Gates in January 2000.

Permalink to story.

Don't see this guy getting the job he's 68 only what 12-24 years left lol I don't think I would want a corpse running my company haha

It's only fitting that the CEO for a company that produces crap cars would be the CEO for a company that produces crap software.

This can't happen. The company needs a tech oriented person. This guy is probably still on XP. They don't need some overpriced bureaucrat with tunnel vision. They need someone who understands what's going on: a programmer, designer or computer engineer. Someone who thinks about it when they go home, when they drive, or when they shower. Someone who lives it and breathes it. This company will fail if they go with this guy or anyone remotely similar. They're still living off of Mr Gate's legacy [software]. [FONT=Consolas]:[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]flash [/FONT][FONT=Consolas]=>[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]{[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]:[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]success [/FONT][FONT=Consolas]=>[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]"Pun!"[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]}[/FONT]

You mean there are no smart CEOs that are younger than 60?

There is Marissa Mayer, but she's taken.

Still, I can say with without even a flicker of emotion. That guy does not look like an opportunistic evil ****, who's going to milk Microsoft for every bean it has left to maximise his wealth. He likes like the sort of man who has his finger on the pulse and is completely in tune with the wants and needs of todays consumers.

Don't try to say that with any emotion, because you won't make it all the way without fits of hysterical laughter, followed by a sense of mourning for a once great company.

What's his background with tech and Windows software? He looks like he thinks the kids are still using Myspace.

It's only fitting that the CEO for a company that produces crap cars would be the CEO for a company that produces crap software.
Then tell me why Ford was the only one of the US-based car makers that didn't end up nearly in financial ruin back when GM and Chrysler had to get bailed out by the government? They must've been doing something right!

Mark my words, GM is going to be heading back to financial ruin. Why? Simply put they aren't doing what people want them to do and by that I mean make cars people want to buy. All I see on TV are commercials for big trucks and SUVs from GM. Meanwhile Ford is advertising smaller more fuel-efficient cars and they are raking in the cash while doing so. Get it through your heads GM, when a gallon of gas is nearly $4 people are not going to want big cars!

....[ ]..... Get it through your heads GM, when a gallon of gas is nearly $4 people are not going to want big cars!
Not true! That only makes people in the ghetto want them even more.:p

You just have to compensate by selling a few more bags of crack when it's time to gas up.

Besides, homeys in the hood don't go any where much further than around the block, or maybe off to rob the Seven Eleven a mile and a half away.

Out of gas anyway? No sweat. Just take a bucket out front of your squat and wash the $3000.00 set of wheels.

Yes, because all of you guys know how to run a multi-million dollar conglomerate. Preach it, armchair generals of the tech industry.

You mean there are no smart CEOs that are younger than 60?

There is Marissa Mayer, but she's taken.

Still, I can say with without even a flicker of emotion. That guy does not look like an opportunistic evil ****, who's going to milk Microsoft for every bean it has left to maximise his wealth. He likes like the sort of man who has his finger on the pulse and is completely in tune with the wants and needs of todays consumers.

Don't try to say that with any emotion, because you won't make it all the way without fits of hysterical laughter, followed by a sense of mourning for a once great company.

A good leader knows how to get the best out of their team. often original thinking is not required of a leader bit the ability to pick and encourage originality of others is. With age comes experience.

Fix Or Repair Daily....that's exactly what I do with our Windows PC's at work. Sounds like a good match to me..

Back