Ford chief Allan Mulally pulls out of Microsoft CEO race

1. Microsoft lost a front-runner for its top job when Alan Mulally, Ford's Chief Executive Officer, announced Tuesday that he plans to stay with the automaker through 2014. “I would like to end the Microsoft speculation because I have no other...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,041   +218

Thank god I wouldn't want a car CEO taking care of a tech company well not unless I wanted more car games on the xbox lol
    Khanonate likes this.
  3. Microsoft is collapsing. Who wants to be the leader of a failure. Whoever will become CEO, will have to get Microsoft through hard times that are obviously ahead of the Microsoft. He'll have to cut jobs, fire people, save money, sell parts of it. Decisions like that will make him unpopular. And if it won't help, he'll be marked as the man who ruined Microsoft. Of course nobody wants that job.
  4. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 295

Smart move! next smart move would be renouncing Sync and adopt Android. We, Ford owners, we don't like expensive and limited and for sure we don't need an iPhone connector. so next smart move would be to join Android Automotive Alliance.
  5. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 385   +96

Microsoft is collapsing, Guest? Right. If $22 Billion profit on $78 Billion revenue for a single year and having $142 Billion in assets is your idea of collapsing, then yeah, they're totally collapsing.
    Skidmarksdeluxe and coolazeem like this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,789   +700

I hate to be the one that ruins your perception of MS but I feel it's my duty to inform you that MS are far from collapse, they'll still be in your hair for a good while longer. If you don't believe it why don't you try applying for the job, hope that you get chosen as Ballmers successor then you can see for yourself.
    Don't believe everything you hear from your pals at kindergarten.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

I'd like to face financial ruin like that. :)
  8. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 536   +69

MS is far from ruin, however its hold on the consumer market is under threat. If Elop takes charge then it looks likely that XBox will be sold off which is only consumer market product that can be described as performing well.

It would be very tempting to concentrate on the commercial sector as the margins must be considerably higher (Office professional being an example). The problem with that strategy is that it allows the competition to raise awareness of alternative products to consumers which could affect future business purchases.
  9. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 338   +66

Hmmm...Maybe you should be the next CEO of Microsoft, seeing how much you know about it's bussiness.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,747   +1,421

Judging by the looks of Windows 8, they may work for Microsoft.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

And they work for a lot less hence MS's powerful financial situation.

12. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 536   +69

I wonder if Alan Mulally has been made an offer to stay put with Ford that he could not refuse? In which case he may have played MS against Ford to improve his position.
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,747   +1,421

In which case I wouldn't blame Allan Mulally. If Ford made an offer, then Ford wants him and can afford to keep him where he is. And if so, Ford obviously went out of their way to make sure he couldn't be replaced. People couldn't play both sides without the company setting the playing field. I will blame a company for setting a playing field, with a wide contrast of personnel wages.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.