Forgotten Password

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently booted up an old computer from storage, it runs on Windows XP, but when I came to the windows user login screen, I realized I forgot the password. I tried to boot it up in safe mode, I heard there are many ways to change passwords from there, but I can't access safe mode.

As its booting up it displays the HP logo and has the options Esc(summary), F2(Setup), F8(Boot Menu), F12(Boot on LAN). I tried hitting F8 but it just has a numeric list, 1.) Harddrive, 2.) Floppy...etc. If anyone knows anything that could help, I would appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

Note: I also seached the forums and looked at the similar posts but none of them, as far as I can see, says anything about not being able to access safe mode.

you need to hit F8 when the windows boot loader kicks in, not before or later. after selecting the hdd in your boot list, you can hit F8 all you want to ensure that windows shows the boot menu.

Ah, I figured it out, I feel dumb. I just had to hit F8 at a different point. I booted it up in safe mode and went to the control panel to remove the password.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back