Format C-Invalid disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok..so I decided to format drive c without doing any research first and I wiped out everything from DOS before even thinking of creating a boot disk. After formatting, I restarted the computer and it showed me "Invalid disk Error. Press any key" I figured, the C drive is gone. I tried to use a boot up disk that I downloaded from bootdisk.com but it's not reading the drives. I tried installing win98 again, but as I said, the drives don't work. Is my computer gone to hell for sure? Is there anything that I can do to rescue it?

Get to dos prompt with the boot disk and type sys c: .
That will hopefully help.

That's the problem, I don't get the prompt. I only get the Invalid disk error. Please press any key. And when I have tried to put in the disk, either floppy or CD, it won't read it. I know there's a solution to this problem, I just don't know what!

Sounds like you have nothing that is bootable or your boot order is incorrect in your bios. Your mobo manual will tell you how to check boot order. If the pc You are using right now has a floppy drive, put a blank in it, go to dos prompt (start menu run, type cmd for xp) and type sys a: then put it in the other pc and type sys c: if dos prompt comes up.

I have windows 2000. When I went to DOS and typed sys a:, it showed me the following: 'sys' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back