TechSpot

Format drive E

By veilreaper
Mar 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hello. recently I have been getting the Drive e needs to be formatted before it can be used. However, I have no drive e. there are no flash drives or sd cards plugged in, its a laptop so it has the normal c drive and the system d drive (ie 1 hard drive). I have no dvd drive as I have removed it because it has been causing problems. in disk management it has drive e there, but no name to it and it is in the raw format. any idea as to how to remove this nuisance?

Windows 7 32 bit pro
    hp pavilion dv6700 laptop

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Just format it, you shouldn't get further prompts. Then you can see if it's another partition on your main HDD or not.

3. Ricky Morawski

Ricky Morawski TS Member Posts: 18

The E partition might be a flash card reader (like for SD cards) It's typical for an operating system to report the reader as a empty disk, see if you can put a card in, it should show up as the E disk. In that case, you can just ignore the message, not sure why it keeps prompting you. Can you post a screenshot of the disk management window

4. veilreaper

veilreaper TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Sorry its taken so long to respond, been swamped. the computer is at my moms so I will post a screen shot next time I am there. as to formatting it, I didn't want to click it on the off chance its some system partition or whatnot lol. the sd card sounds about right. I will try dropping one in. I will post back probably tomorrow. thanks for the replies

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

Open the disk manager and compare to the image attached
    Notice Disk 0, 1, 2 are vertically aligned - - those are physical devices.
    Disk 0 has partitions and they can have drive letters. This is my laptop and Dell created three partitions and only one has a drive letter C:

If your E: is on disk-0, then it is a partition and may have been a recovery area like mine.
    Disk Management.jpg

6. veilreaper

So if it is a partition like that it is safe to format/erase? I will stop by her house tomorrow to compare to your picture

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

The C: Drive on disk-1 is the bootable OS

Anything else on Disk-0 is option (but sometimes useful)

8. veilreaper

Just to update, I have not been able to get it to pop up that message again so I suppose I will wait till it does. It does look similar to yours as well. But for now all is well. Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.