Format new laptop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dok

Hello

A search didn't yield any helpful results. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum.

I recently purchased a new laptop, it is a Toshiba w/ Windows XP home. I hadn't purchased a new computer in years and was apalled when I started it up and found junk software, arroware, possible spyware, and over a dozen miscellaneous trial software programs pre-installed on my system. I have assessed the situation and found that distinguishing between the unnecessary and necessary software (drivers and other stuff I want) would not only take hours, but also simply using the uninstall feature doesn't remove a lot of these trial versions. Getting rid of this stuff will take a lot of time.

So for those of you who have experienced this, is formatting the harddrive a reasonable solution? I have a copy of Windows XP PRO that I used on my old system which I would use if I were to do this. My main concern is that I may have a problem finding the correct drivers for my laptop or that any special software that comes with the system I might want I will miss out on. It would have been extremely helpful if Toshiba had included some sort of list of the software that comes pre-installed so that I can decide what's worth saving and what I don't want.

Thanks

that is kind of like dealing with a cocroach problem by torching your house to get rid of them.

The drivers are the same for XP Home and Xp Pro and all Toshiba-specific things are available for download on their website.

Perhaps you also got some CDs with your laptop containing Windows XP itself and all the additional programs?

it's not hard to do as long as you can get to all the drivers...I helped a friend install all the drivers back on his Dell after he had exactly the same reaction you did ;-)

In Dell's case, it's pretty easy...their driver downloads on their web site are pretty much point and click...j

Also be aware that you'll have to go through some silly registration procedure w/ MS because all the hardware is different for that XP key that you're trying to move. It's best to use the XP key that came w/ the laptop unless it's crappy XP Home...

Nodsu said:
Perhaps you also got some CDs with your laptop containing Windows XP itself and all the additional programs?

All that really came with it is the copy of Windows XP Home and a Toshiba recovery disk. But yeah I'm planning on checking out the recovery disk to see if it has any additional programs.

I appreciate the advice guys :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back