format old lappy 98 -> ME

By Kickass
Aug 23, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,
    I have a few questions, I am trying to upgrade 98se to ME on a laptop.
    It's not mine. I have an ME disc that comes with new hard drives, and it won't allow me to upgrade via the ME disc at boot up. It's an old *** dell latitude 300 mhz 256 RAM upgraded.
    So, How do I install/format whatever to get it started, he doesn't care about losing any of the info the little piece of crap has on it now.
    I can't find my ME Boot Disc, and if i can, or manage to get one, how would that work, because the lappy only has one bay for interchangable Floppy/CD

Thanks for your help
  2. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

Windows ME is widely regarded as being one of the most bug ridden,unstable
    OSs Microsoft has ever produced.

A well run 98SE system is much better,especially when you only have a 300Mhz CPU.

If you still want to install that disaster of an OS,there is a step by step HERE
  3. Kickass

Kickass Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks Peddant!
    My only problem is that it's an old laptop, and I can put the floppy drive in OR the CD drive in, so would I boot windows with the 98 boot disc, hit format c:
    then remove the floppy drive and insert the CD drive?
    I am lost at that point.
    Thanks agian guys!
  4. Kickass

Kickass Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I got it all set, thanks for your help!

MODS, you can close/lock this
  5. miksah2001

miksah2001 Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

If you can (and thats a big IF), try installing Windows 2000 instead. Its a year newer than ME and far better.

WinME is one of the worst windows OS's still in use
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.