format or repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, on my computer I was doing a system restore to an earlier date and it BSOD'd at some random time through it.

I put the Home cd in and go to the recovery console, everything works ok. I did a disk check and it found some errors.

I restart without the CD and it goes straight to a STOP error. I guess reinstalling is mah only option?

Now on that computer XP Pro was installed, I only have a Home CD.

So, should I format the drive and do a clean install with home?

Also, Can you install home over pro? I googled it but with not much luck.

Or should I just wait till I can get a Pro cd off someone?

First thing I'd suggest is doing a few tests to try and find out what caused your errors in the first place. If you have some hardware problems, you'll just run into the same problem again after you reinstall.

Mainly, run a diagnostic on your hard drive and on your ram.

For your hard drive, check this thread to find your diagnostic tool:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

And also run www.memtest.org for 6 or 7 passes on your ram.

If you don't find any problems on either, then go ahead and reinstall windows.

As for reinstalling, what version is your HOME XP? Is it an upgrade version? OEM or full? If it is a full or OEM version you'll be able to use it to wipe out your PRO install, and have a fresh HOME install.

Getting a PRO cd of someone else doesn't really sound like a good idea, as you won't be able to register it and get the updates.

I probably wasn't really clear on a few things before.
I know what the problem was, it was faulty ram. And I;ll just get the pro CD off the guy that built the computer for me. He meant to give it to me before at a lan but forg0ts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back