TechSpot

Format Slave Drive Through Windows 98

By SNGX1275
Feb 20, 2006
  1. If its a brand new hard drive it doesn't have any partitions set up, thats why you can't see it. You have to use fdisk to create a partition, then you can format it.

2. mickzer

mickzer TS Rookie Posts: 101

Hi,
    Well done SNGX1275,
    You've just answered a question that won't be asked until tomorrow.
    (That's if the dates & times are anything to go by )
    I'll have some of whatever you're drinking!!!!ha ha.

mickzer

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 10,714   +397

Yeh, just got my time machine working yesterday :)

What would really be cool is if I'd be like the Oracle in The Matrix and see if he'd still ask the question if I had already answered it. ie - I could delete his original post, only leaving me quoting him and my response :)

4. Sparkz

Sparkz TS Rookie

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday let alone remember the in's & out's of Windows 98. Got a question, see if anyone can help me out on this one. I took a look at it and my brain is drawing a blank.
    Old Dell with Windows 98 on. Friend needed more space so I added a slave drive (WD80GB). DOS setup is recognizing the new harddrive (have that set on auto), but Windows 98 is not. It's a brand new harddrive so it shouldn't needed formatting, but because of Windows 98 I'm thinking it does (Gotta love the older systems & new hardware/software). But I can't remember how to format a slave drive through Windows 98 since XP has made it so easy & convienent. Someone want to refresh my memory? Would GREATLY appreciate it.

5. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Must really be a bad day, run a DOS Box and just run Fdisk and then do what you would normally do, or restart in MS-DOS mode and do it that way,

The youth are spoilt today with XP doing everything for them....lol

6. briph

briph TS Rookie

Hello Sparkz,
    Did you try computer management?
    But I think the problem is that your new HDD is NTFS, but Win98 supports only FAT32.
    So try to format from BIOS.

7. ru_ready

ru_ready TS Rookie Posts: 22

hi

80 gig drive... might be a hardware issue, older MObO's need a cd to help them, as for a slave into a machine, is this already formatted to NTFS? as in pre-done? and if its new (out of box) you are correct in saying you shouldnt need to format it. a blank drive will just run as a blank storage drive...

cheers

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 10,714   +397

No if its new out of the box he will have to format it, they don't come pre-formatted. But you can't even do that until you have set up at least 1 partition on it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.