TechSpot

Format?

By cypro
Jul 3, 2008
  1. I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I try to install Windows XP but it cannot, or says that there is no HDD? I tried the boot disk and that doesn't work. the XP dosen't work to find it at all. I got the computer from a business that went under and they wiped the Hard drive and gave me the disk for XP. But I can't install it at all. disk error and the usual messages come up please insert disk i;m at wits end with this stuff, Please help me

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,266   +92

If it has a SATA HDD, did you load the SATA drivers during the initial setup screen of the XP CD?

3. cypro

cypro TS Rookie Topic Starter

no I didn't It just says that there is no HD and I dont know how to do that cause I can't seem to install anything

4. Matthew

5. hiway

hiway TS Rookie

Physically check presence of hard disk by opening the computer cover. Re insert its connections. Make sure by consulting cmos setup that your cd/dvd drive is set to be primary first boot device.

6. cypro

yup I did that too. and nothing at all didn't even recognize the boot disks. CD or floppy. LOL never thought I would add floppy on this, might as well said VHS.

I dont know where to look for the drivers for my hd

7. cypro

thanks for the help guys Now I have another one the computer says insert disk in a: and hit enter. all I have is a CD ROm... I have a A: drive but its a floppy diskdrive and thats' like 20 diskes for the software do you have a solution?

8. Matthew

Sounds like you are making this a bit more complicated than it is...

Read this thoroughly: http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_install_windows_operating_system.shtml

If you don't have the SATA floppy, take a look at your PC or motherboard manufacturers website for the drivers and create your own disk.

If you'd like to take another route, look into slipstreaming the SATA drivers onto your XP CD.

9. hiway

hiway TS Rookie

Go into cmos and disable floppy all together.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.