formating hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnelson79

I am trying to format a hard drive with XP in it it was upgraded from 98 se to 2000 to XP now i want to clean it and put 98 se back in when i do this i get format cant run because the volumn is in use by another process need to dismount when i follow it instructions i get this message cannot unlock the drive. i try to get into the bios to change to cd drive but setup wont come up as well

Why would you want to re-install 98? Ring, Ring, its almost 2007.

XP will not allow you to reformat the drive unless its Vista or Linux.

I am being serious now, Are you aware that 98 is total crap and is no longer supported by MS.

formatting hard drive

Yes i know 98 is is crap but it is the only leagle copy of windows i have at this time and i bought this computer with an illegal copy of windows XP on it and i thought i could use the licence of my other computer to activate it but i found out that is not the case so now i have a mess cause i tried to update the damn thing and the rest is known i hope

how do you buy a system with an illegal copy?

Why would you want to have any illegal copy of MS? You can't update it for those million patches MS likes to shove down out throats and the genuine validation software will keep you from trying use your pirated software

again

I thought it was a bargin price cause i thought i could re do the hard drive or format it and until next year use 98se to get it up and running then buy a good copy of XP but alas i am having a ***** of a time formating ive tried every method i could get my hands on, I was hoping some one could let me know if it is possible to format it

I think you are right to get rid of an illegal copy of XP, so I hope you still have the CD key to your Win98 disk.

Because, you have XP already, on the computer, it is probably formatted in NTFS, and you need FAT32 file system. In which case, you will need a 98 boot disk, to partition (fdisk) and reformat (format C:) the disk, to FAT32, so that Win98 can read the hard drive. If you go to http://www.bootdisk.com you can download a bootdisk, I would get a WinME boot disk.

Once you get your 98 setup, then you will need the updates for it, you can get them here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_9x_Power_Pack_d5201.html

This computer has me having fits i made a 98se boot disc and a ME boot disc and i still cant get it to reformat, I am now going to put ME in this machine i cant even get it to go to dos, please if any one has a clue as to why i am having so much trouble with this thing. as i have said i am at a loss

can any one tell me if there is a disc or some thing that will format a computer I have done every thing possible to get it done and still cant get it done.i have used the recovery console and every thing goes as it is supposed to but when i type the Y for yes the damn thing goes to another c/windows prompt and that is it. when i go to the dos part i get, format cant run because the volumn is in use by another process need to dismount when i follow the instructions to dismount i get this message cannot unlock the drive. I have tried every thing i know of to reformat this damn thing. I guess a cheap computer with an ilegal copy of windows in it isnt as cheap as i thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back