Formating Hd But Freezes B4 Completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have A Samsung Hd120ij Which Has Been Working Fine Untill I Tried To Format It! When I Try To Format It If I Use The Quick Format Option It Freezes At 20% If I Use The Full (slow) Format It Freezes At 1%!! Then Reports Disc May Be Damaged! Which Is Impossible Cos Didnt Touch The Thing Just Stopped Working!! Ive Tried Downloading A Hd Diagnostic Tool Specificly For Samsung Hd's But It Hasnt Helped! The Program Cant Even Detect The Hard Drive Although It Appears In My Computer As Drive F! Can Anyone Help Me Before I Take A Big F****** Hammer To This Computer?!?!?!!!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try another ide cable.

If that doesn`t help, then maybe your hdd has gone bad. The easy way to test that, is to put it in another computer as a slave and see if you can format it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanx for that!!! i managed to start up windows with my other harddrive and format it in windows i couldnt believe it worked!! it didnt work as quick format though had to be slow one. but now i have the problem of wanting to run a hard drive diagnostic tool (hutil 2.0) for samsung drives. it says to copy hutil.exe to a floppy disc and boot from there, but i have no floppy drive so ive burnt it to a cd. the problem i am having is trying to run the file from dos. it says in the manual you have to run it out of windows but how do i do that?!! ive tried within windows but its no good ive used cmd typed the correct file path and i get nothin apart from error!! so i guess wot i am asking is how do i get a command prompt up before my computer boots up xp??

thanx mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back