Formatted computer, don't have drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scape

*I should note that this is an old computer

I've tried on my own to get information by searching this forum and other sites but I give up. My brother doesn't remember where he put the driver cds and I can't find them. I tried downloading some drivers and installing them but I don't know the exact specs of what I'm using. I burned everest onto a disc and installed it on my computer to find out exactly what kind of hardware I'm using. As far as I know I've sucessfully installed my sound driver. What I need to install is my ethernet driver so I can get on the internet to get windows update and install other drivers and such. Everest says that it's a Bridgecon Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter. I downloaded the driver and put it onto a floppy, but I don't know how to install the driver. The driver doesn't have an executable, and the directions just say to install it when it comes up with a "Found New Hardware" message, but I never got that message. In device manager it puts a yellow question mark next to:
? PCI Communication Device
? PCI Ethernet Controller

I assume that the ethernet controller is the Bridgecom Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter, but I don't know what the communication device is.

Heres my system summary report from Everest:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer SERVER
Generator Alex
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998 (Win98 Retail)
Date 2005-11-12
Time 12:24

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.05.01.9800 (DirectX 5.2)
Computer Name SERVER
User Name Alex

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD K6-2, 300 MHz (4.5 x 67)
Motherboard Name PCChips M570
Motherboard Chipset SiS 5591
System Memory 96 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/15/95)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
3D Accelerator SiS 86C326
Monitor (Unknown Monitor)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Optical Drive Memorex 52X CD-ROM AJiA (52x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 4102 MB (3906 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
Network Adapter PPP Adapter.

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
------
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

I'm also including some pictures of my pc:

comp4.gif

comp1.gif

comp3.gif

comp2.gif

I don't know if all of this extra stuff will help, but I think a little information overkill can only do good.

If I missed information that you need just tell me and I'll post it.

Scape said:

Heres my system summary report from Everest:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer SERVER
Generator Alex
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998 (Win98 Retail)
Date 2005-11-12
Time 12:24

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98
OS Service Pack -
DirectX 4.05.01.9800 (DirectX 5.2)
Computer Name SERVER
User Name Alex

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD K6-2, 300 MHz (4.5 x 67)
Motherboard Name PCChips M570
Motherboard Chipset SiS 5591
System Memory 96 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (07/15/95)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
3D Accelerator SiS 86C326
Monitor (Unknown Monitor)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IDE Controller SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Optical Drive Memorex 52X CD-ROM AJiA (52x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 4102 MB (3906 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
------
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

well the pics were a bit overkill.. anyway don't worry... :thumb:

now.. this hardware will probably need drivers:

graphics card: 3D Accelerator SiS 86C326
audio card/adapter: Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio
USB: USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller

search www.driverguide.com or even www.google.com for the drivers..

as for your network card.. Everest says its a:

if you still believe that the card is a Bridgecom Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter, then when you insert your floppy disc. do the following:

Right click my computer > select properties > select hardware > select ? PCI Ethernet Controller > click properties > click reinstall or update driver > choose to install from a specific location > tick Don't search. I will choose the drivers to install > if a list of hardware comes up, select Ethernet Adapters/Network adapters > click on have disc > navigate to your floppy drive > select the drivers and install em from there...

If it doesn't work post back

yah

right after I posted I realised that I should go to add new hardware and check that out, then I saw the ?PCI Ethernet card thing, so I popped in the floppy, clicked the driver button and entered the path to the driver. So all is good, I have internet and now I'm doing some windows update. Microsoft should do something about the whole - not being able to go to the windows update page with the lower version of IE - situation. Thats just what I think. Yeah, thanks for the response though, if I get any more problems I'll post

P.S. I can't find my graphics card driver anywhere, I read another post that it wasn't SiS, it was S3, so now I'm real confused

And I'm still stuck in 16 bit 640 by 480

again

for a while my computer has been sitting here, I decided to once again try and fix it. I opened up the case, and saw that my display device is on the motherboard, and has a monitor female plug on a pci metal thing that leads to the motherboard, so it's not a pci card. I looked on the motherboard and it said "SIS 3D pro 8mb." I guess that is whatever graphics that it is, and I downloaded the drivers in an exe and all it did was extract a bunch of files and gave me little to no direction at all, so I tried to install the drivers with the device manager and it said couldn't find any drivers for the ?PCI communication device, so since the video driver isn't pci and the drivers didn't match I'm guessing thats not the "?pci communication device." So I'm going to start doing some deductive reasoning and try to find out which device I forgot to install drivers for. The other problem is I'm still stuck in 640 x 480 and in 16 bit. Hopefully I can fix that soon, any suggestions?

Identifying graphics card

There's a utility on this page that may help identify the graphics card. Failing that have a look on the actual card for identifying marks, some have an FCC number.

yeah

yeah, I went to that site earlier and downloaded both programs, both said I didn't have their hardware installed. I searched for "SiS 3D pro 8mb" and it told me that the model was SiS 6326, so I downloaded an .exe from driverguide, didn't work, searched again, found one that worked, ran the setup, it installed the files, and now my display works real good. Thanks to you guys for posting and helping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back