Formatting 3 out of 4 windows partitions, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyrmwraith

Yeah as above, want to remove obsolete versions while keeping existing XP home installation. Includes XP and Server2k3 trial, no vista. Was thinking of having a play with gparted on the livecd, any input appreciated. I would like to resize the XP home partition once i reinstall other OS. Cheers.

I installed four /edit seperate operating systems each to their own partitions. Originally i had two hdd with one OS on each. I then thought it would be a good idea to give 3 (an extra OS included)of them 20gb allocations and the rest to "Home edition" partition. Basically i want to free up all the rest of the space and reallocate more to the primary partition (home edition), at the same time install 2k3 and Ubunutu to other smaller partitions. Theres probably an easier way to put it but yeah.

Home edition
Professional
Server 2k3
Ubuntu

Want to keep Home edition and reinstall 2k3 and Ubuntu on smaller partitions.

Partition Magic is good at this kind of thing;
shrinking an existing partition w/o loosing data,
merging adjacent partitions

do a bit of research on partition limits. There can only be 4 primary partitions per drive for instance...much higher limit on extended partitions, but extended partitions have limitations on whether or not they will support a bootable OS. Depending on your motherboard bios there can be upper size limits on partition sizes (earlier than about 2 years ago anyhow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back