TechSpot

Formatting problem

By Hodsocks
Jul 17, 2007
  1. I have a Dell computer that needed a new hard drive, I replaced it and came to reload Windows XP but when I come to format it I get an error message telling me it can't format this partition, I have tried both normal and quick formatting.
    I have put the hard drive in another machine as a second drive and it has happily formatted ok but if I put it back in the original machine it still wants to format the drive. On one occasion I loaded windows on the drive in the other machine, put it back in the Dell machine, thinking all I would need to do is carry out a repair install of windows but again all it wanted to do is format the drive, no option to repair windows.
    I have tried a new cd-rom, new memory but to no avail, I have carried out diagnostics on everything i can and it all appears to be Ok.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what is going on here?

Strangely enough I did have a similar problem with another machine about a week ago.

2. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 370

Well I guess its got you guys beat as well, at least its not just me anyway.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.