Formatting problem

By Hodsocks
Jul 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell computer that needed a new hard drive, I replaced it and came to reload Windows XP but when I come to format it I get an error message telling me it can't format this partition, I have tried both normal and quick formatting.
    I have put the hard drive in another machine as a second drive and it has happily formatted ok but if I put it back in the original machine it still wants to format the drive. On one occasion I loaded windows on the drive in the other machine, put it back in the Dell machine, thinking all I would need to do is carry out a repair install of windows but again all it wanted to do is format the drive, no option to repair windows.
    I have tried a new cd-rom, new memory but to no avail, I have carried out diagnostics on everything i can and it all appears to be Ok.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what is going on here?

Strangely enough I did have a similar problem with another machine about a week ago.
  2. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 526

Well I guess its got you guys beat as well, at least its not just me anyway.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.