Formatting the C partition while XP is on D partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeratul

Hi guys :wave:

I have two partitions that contain my two systems, ME and XP on C and D respectively.

Now, i need to remove this ME edition and replace it with 98 because i need some space on that partition.

If i format the C, XP won't launch because of boot.ini file and maybe other files will be lost due to the format, plus i fear that the boot sector will be swept away and no OS will be detected AGAIN on the D partition (the XP partition)...

Can anyone please state the steps of removing the old ME edition and installing the 98 one while keeping in mind that i want my XP be accessible again? :suspiciou

You should copy the boot.ini as back up and format the C. After fresh installation of win98, put the backed up boot.ini and you are good to go. Make sure you edit it so it wont find Win ME in that boot ini. Add Win98 in it and done.

I tried it but backed up also some system files i heard that must be present for launching xp like ntldr and ntdetect.com.
Then i also backed up other sys files just in case: msdos.sys, msconfig.sys, io.sys, autoexec.bat and bootset.dos

XP and 98 are working :D ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back