Formatting Windows Vista OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

reigh

Hello everyone!

I have tried to reformat my laptop, inserted Vista OS and booth into cd. Upon loading, it suddenly stops (updating...) and error message appears. But then it continue to load and goes back into Windows. On the drive C I have noticed that Windows have lots of version (windowsold.000, windows.0001, etc) maybe its because of loading the OS incorrectly.

I'm trying to reformat the old OS. I want to try to put my hard disk to another computer so I would be able to format my HD. I tried to open my laptop, but unluckily, it's really hard to take out the HD. Is there any way on how can I format my HD? Thanks for the help!

There are a number of bootable discs you could use if your Vista disc does not help
Try Gparted to remove the partition

Please note, you are not formatting, you need to remove the partition

to expand on what kimsland has said. You can use gParted to remove the partition (delete). Then you can put your Vista disk back in, Vista will see the drive, but it will now be unpartitioned. Vista will be able to partition and format it on its own then.

I assume you know that reformatting isn't necessarily the same as reinstalling Windows. Reformatting WILL destroy ALL of your data. Reinstalling Windows can be done in a way that leaves regular data untouched.

Thanks for the advise. I'm trying to reformat my notebook to it's factory default settings but I don't have a recovery discs. I can't even take out my HD because it's really hard to open the notebook. I also tried to create a bootable usb but no effect at all. Please help. Thanks in advance.

You can't restore to factory defaults without a restore disk. A Vista install disk will put on a fresh install of Vista. You may not even be able to repair an HP/Acer/Dell/Whatever's default install of Vista with a retail Vista disk but I'm not sure.

I think you aren't using the correct terms for what you want to do. I told you what happens above but I'll do it again.

Reformat - Wipes EVERYTHING on the drive. ALL data is GONE.
If you are wanting to do that to restore your laptop to factory defaults and also want to keep any movies, pictures, documents, whatever on there that is there now then you will be upset to find out after all your work they are gone.

Repair - Not sure if this is possible as I said above, it may be. If you can't even get the computer to boot off the DVD then something is wrong and we'd need to investigate that further.

Now manufacturers are getting cheap and not shipping restore disks, but there should be a way to create them from your current installation. Play around in your Program Files menu until you find something, look in the manual, or call tech support for your laptop. Worst case is you buy the restore disks from the manufacturer.

If you really do have a retail Vista install DVD, that will take everything off your drive and then load Vista back on, but that loads a plain version of vista, any software that came with your PC outside the Windows included apps (like WMP, Movie Maker, Messenger, Paint, ect) will be gone.

If you are wanting a fresh install of Vista, the retail dvd will do that, but that is not called 'restoring to factory defaults' on a branded PC/notebook.

I think your best bet is fixing the issue that has lead you to think you need to reinstall. How to do that depends on what the problem is.

When I buy the notebook it doesn't come along with the OS. So I purchased the OS in other store. I have searched on the net on how to create a recovery discs and followed the procedure given but I can't find it on my system.

I have all the drivers for my audio, video, networking, wireless & bluetooth, cam, etc. located in drive D (partition). It's just that once I have inserted the Vista OS to reformat my notebook it then suddenly stops but it continue reading then goes back to windows and then on the drive C i found a duplicate copy of Windows (windows0001, windows0002, windows0003) maybe its because of the error i have encountered as i have mentioned when i tried to load the OS. Honestly, I actually don't know how to use Gparted .

I have also searched on the net on how to disassemble my notebook and so i tried to open up my notebook and take out my HD. I used my other notebook and check my HD (which i set up as my external HD) and format it. By then I have reformatted my HD and loaded the OS.

SNGX1275 and kimsland: thanks for all the informations and knowledge you have shared...

So you did get your problem taken care of?

If your notebook didn't have an OS on it when you bought it, and you installed Vista from a retail disk. Then you won't have any way to make recovery disks like most branded notebooks do. So that explains why you weren't able to make recovery disks.

I think maybe your problem was you weren't actually booting off the Vista disk. So when you put it in (if you did it in Windows) it began the windows part of the setup, then when it first reboots its SUPPOSED to boot off the DVD, but for whatever reason it didn't for you. So it just loaded up Windows normally. The temp files created during the Windows portion of the install were still left on your hard drive then.

So if you haven't yet taken care of your problem, set your DVD drive to be the first in the boot order, and then boot the computer with the Vista DVD in the drive.

Oh i see.. so that's the reason why i wasn't able to create a recovery disc. at first actually i have set up the notebook to booth up first in the dvd. It boots on my cd and then download the OS and on the "updating" portion it suddenly stops but continue reading and goes back to windows. That's why different version of OS appeared on my drive C. On that process it doesn't shown that my old OS is reformatted, looks like it did created another OS (that's why i have lots of OS version when I checked my C drive..

Thanks SNGX1275 for giving attention to my problem..

No prob. I don't get around to helping people as much as I used to, been really busy with other stuff. But when I do take the time to look into a problem I think I can solve I try and do it well, or at least provide direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back