TechSpot

Forum access speed

By Julio Franco
Jun 13, 2003
Post New Reply
  1. Just wondering, haven't you noticed any boost in access speed when browsing through the forums since today?

2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Not really, its always as fast as can be :) Thanks Julio!

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Sometimes I find the site very slow. This is both at work, and at home, so you can rule out the machine / net connection. We have a VERY fat pipe at work and I have a good enough cable connection at home.

Recently, I have noticed a real, significant decrease in the amount of lags and hangups. Whatever you have done, its helped. Please do more of it. Web sites loading slowly is extremely annoying. This one has ALWAYS BEEN WORTH IT, however its still a pain in the you know where.

So yes, I have noticed an improvement.

4. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I hadn't thought to much about it till it was mentioned, but it does seem to be a little faster, but sometimes it still hangs for a while when loading a page. I think removing the vb redirect page was a big improvement.

5. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

could you show me where ?

please, master, pretty please

:D

6. Phantasm66

what have YOU BEEN SMOKING tonight??

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,594   +352

The frontpage should also be loading a bit faster (most noticeable on slower connections), enabled gzip compression there.

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

This site always loads super fast for me (California, USA). Although lately I have had some problems with the forums "sticking". I'll press the submit button and it just doesn't want to do its thing. :)

Honestly, I have not had this happen in a long time.

You know how the Internet is... Unpredictable! :)

9. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Seen a slight increase in speed, the last time, i had to wait for 15 seconds to load over a 256K ADSL.

10. DigitAlex

I neved smoked a single cigarette in my whole life !!

11. Phantasm66

I wasn't talking about cigarettes you bad boy. You being intoxicated on some narcotic was the only explanation I could find for you wanting to where the sun don't shine.
    ;)

12. DigitAlex

hmm well

my favourite narcotics are women and computers ;)

nothing that's related to the place described above hehehe

13. Julio Franco

I have successfully installed mod_gzip in our server meaning that all content requested to the server in first compressed/zipped and then sent... makes quite a bit of a difference on certain connections, say 256k and below.

This same thing was applied before to the forums alone (so you won't notice a difference here) but has now been applied server-wide.

14. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Awesome, hopefully that makes some users a little more happy.

15. Julio Franco

I guess a lot of you are using broadband either from home, work or collegue making a small difference... unfortunately I'm in the side of those who actually get to see the difference ;).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.