Forum account creation error - displays "NameNotAllowed" instead of my username

RobStow

When I post something to one of the forums, instead of showing my name (Rob Stow) beside my posts it shows "NameNotAllowed". I provided my real name when I created the account and there are no settings in my profile that should be stopping it from being displayed ... but somehow a bug in the account creation code stuck me with "NameNotAllowed". What do I have to do to get his fixed?

When I post something to one of the forums, instead of showing my name (Rob Stow) beside my posts it shows "NameNotAllowed". I provided my real name when I created the account and there are no settings in my profile that should be stopping it from being displayed ... but somehow a bug in the account creation code stuck me with "NameNotAllowed". What do I have to do to get his fixed?
Well Rob, I actually think our software came up with a great alias. You hafta admit, it's a lot more enigmatic and mysterious than "Rob Stow".

As I just got done watching a "Nightwish" DVD, and their biggest hit, is a song called "Nemo". I believe "Nemo" is Latin for "nameless". So, I'll suggest that for you as well.

And there you go, a couple of, (IMHO), great choices other than your real name for the forum. If you insist on not wanting to post with a pseudonym. you can always put your name in your sig.
Anyway, here's some music to ponder eternity by, there um ............, Mister Nemo.....:D

Sorry, "nemo" is apparently taken. That leaves us with perhaps, "MisterNemo". or, "Theartistformerlyknownasnameless"

Last edited:
Whatever I put in the fields for "Full Name" and "PC Name" gets ignored and there does not seem to be any other field that would affect the name that gets displayed for me ... so my only remaining option seems to be to deleted the account and start a new one.

These appear in the Information tab of your profile, as seen here:

upload_2016-4-17_19-42-36.png

Are you trying to change your username, from NameNotAllowed?

I know I shouldn't try to hijack this thread, but does anyone think I should ask to have my user name changed to, "TheNicestGuyintheWholeWorld"? :confused:

And now, back to topic. When I first saw a post by, "NameNotAllowed", it resonated with me as a euphemism for, "the one who shall remain nameless", or possibly, "the one whose name may not be spoken". I thought to myself , "oh, cool, Satan has joined Techspot, that will take quite a load off me". :cool: (y)

... so my only remaining option seems to be to deleted the account and start a new one.
Wait for an administrator. At the present time only an admin can delete your account anyway so you might as well wait for an admin to change your username. Have patience.

These appear in the Information tab of your profile, as seen here:

View attachment 81415

Are you trying to change your username, from NameNotAllowed?

There is no field in my profile for "username" and when I check the settings in my profile I don't see "NameNotAllowed" anywhere at all. I have no idea how I got stuck with "NameNotAllowed" - I provided every required field when I created my account - real name, email address, and that's about it in the way of "naming info". For some reason the forum software displays "NameNotAllowed" instead of my real name or my politically correct name so "Rob Stow" and "Rob_Stow" must somehow be politically incorrect. Maybe I should change my PC Name to "Dirty Old Man" or "Deaf as a doorknob" and see if those are politically correct enough to pass muster? :)

I know I shouldn't try to hijack this thread, but does anyone think I should ask to have my user name changed to, "TheNicestGuyintheWholeWorld"? :confused:

No you shouldn't because you are not "TheNicestGuyintheWholeWorld", I am and I'll kill anyone who says otherwise.

There is no field in my profile for "username" and when I check the settings in my profile I don't see "NameNotAllowed" anywhere at all.

You'll need to get in touch with @Matthew or @Julio Franco and request that they change your username.

This isn't something the user can do themselves, it has to be done by an administrator who has access to the administrator panel of the forum software.

This is the first time we've come across such an issue (the forum assigning a random username) but no worries, I've renamed your account as you wanted. Thanks for bringing this up.

Back