TechSpot

Found good paint 4 hard plastic ie case, monitor...

By Steve B
Jun 11, 2004
  1. I recently bought a 2nd hand 21 inch monitor that looked, well, 2nd hand.

I purchased Dk Grey "K&H" Bumper and Trim paint from the local auto shop for about $12aus, cleaned the beast with Metho, sprayed away, and it looks Brand new.

Looked so good I did my case as well, all from the one aerosol can.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S Don't spray it in an enclosed area, unless you:dead: like that sort of thing - seen BLUE VELVET anyone ???

2. Moimit

Moimit TS Rookie Posts: 76

how much is it?. when i turn 18 i might get some. one question though.... how did you spray your monitor without getting it in the vent holes?.

3. Steve B

Steve B TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 94

Jeez, are they thet strict on aerosols????
    Get your oldies to buy some???

I pulled the case off the monitor. I didn't wanna mask off the display as it's got some sort of anti glare on it and removing the masking tape would a been ...difficult.

I just got it at the local Auto One, it retails for about $14 - I get discount coz I used to work there. Making sure it's really clean is the thing, any fingerprints etc just make the paint kinda bead.

I posted a photo in the gallery if you're interested...

4. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 640

When ya turn 18? Do you have to be 18 to purchase Aerosal cans?? Wow...makes me glad to be an American...I think a 5 yr. old could buy a can of paint here....

5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,553   +234

Be aware that there are some large currents passed throughout the internal workings of a monitor and you should never really open up a monitor unless you are sure what your doing. And it should be left to discharge for a lengthy period before opening it up if you really have to.

6. Steve B

Is that why I haven't had to Gel my hair recently...Voltage

There's been a lot of inhaling of aerosols in Aust, particularly amongst the indiginous population, so cans are somewhat restricted, though not that strictly...:dead:

7. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

You have to be 18 to buy most aerosols here, and I'm in the US, but its a state law not federal.
    BTW, best plastics paint I've seen is that new stuff from Krylon. I forget the exact name but its made just for plastic and it actually bonds to it and won't peel or flake off.

8. Steve B

Yeah, some places have the cans all locked up, others have nought.

A friend of mine had his Hardware store burgled and they left the powertools etc and just took a 4 litre tin of "KWIKGRIP" - a contact adhesive.
    Real BRAIN FOOD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.