Solved Found ramnit.e on an old hard drive

Hi all, I just today took an old hard drive from a laptop that stopped working for reasons long forgotten, and plugged it into my desktop to see what old files I might have on it. I first tried to boot from the disk, but Windows XP crashed when booting, so I assumed it was just that it was the hardware change that was messing it up, and started Windows 7 from my main drive. After booting, microsoft security essentials kept giving popping up with messages about how it had cleaned a detected threat and required no action from me. I scanned the old drive with MSE and Malwarebytes, but MSE was the only program to detect the infection. I tried to clean the infection with MSE, but it seemed to freeze halfway though so I closed it with the task manager and wiped the old laptop drive. I scanned my other drives again with both Malwarebytes, MSE, and the Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit software and everything seems to be coming up clean, no more popups from MSE. Could my system be safe, or is it likely ramnit already got to the rest of my computer? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ramnit is a very nasty infection because is not curable.
I hope it didn't jump on your computer.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Disable your antivirus program
  • Click on "Run ESET Online Scanner" button.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • IMPORTANT! UN-check Remove found threats
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push List of found threats
  • Click on Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

Back