TechSpot

Four new security holes in Internet Explorer

By Per Hansson
Jul 15, 2004
  1. Secunia has found four new security holes in Internet Explorer, Secunia listed the problems as "extremely critical"

The vulnerabilities can allow a malicious website to remotely exploit the visiting machine, Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5 and 6 where found to be vulnerable.

Secunia recommended to either disable Active Scripting or use another product.

Original Link: Secunia

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

More security holes...I wonder when will it end? :)

3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

Did they find something around all those holes ?

4. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

I seem to remember from the MS joke thread that Windows 95 was in the guiness book of world records for having the highest bug to function ratio ever in a program. Maybe it was only a joke, but..

Do you think IE might be able to rival such a record yet?

5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

It seems like theres more then ever lately :\

6. Geez...its software...it has holes. Any piece of software can be exploited.

I wish these *****s would quit posting on every hole that they find. Its like a broadcast to all the hacker/hater punks that the holes exist.

Gah....

7. ---agissi---

I agree, its getting really f*-ing old... just post "Run Windows Update and download the latest goods asap"

8. jbritz22

jbritz22 TS Rookie

Booooring, post some more intersting news. This is like the us and their terror reports.

"We have found from sources that their might be a terror attack, although these sources arent genuine, we are saying this just to make you scared and waste your time."

I think internet explorer needs a color coded bug system or something. XD

9. Spike

Spike TS Rookie Posts: 2,371

he he.

What is it with people?

They demonise people for complaining and/or showing humor over issues like this.

People sometimes have a pop at MS, but peeps who jump straight on their backs and have a pop at those who would make fun or complain are just as bad.

I'm using IE now. I obviouisly don't hate it that much do I? Nor many other people. Can't we just all get along even if our views and personalities do differ.

I do smetimes wonder why people get so worked up over a faceless multinational corporation and it's products. I mean, it's not like they need protecting, and it's not like they are going to get hurt by a few posts on a forum.

wheher it's humourous, or a complaint, if it upsets someone that much, they really need to wake up and realise that there's more to life.

AS for the issue of announcing details of vulnerabilities, well I agree. They shouldn't be so readily reported. I do think though that it would be good to still have an announcement that there is a problem, and to patch your system, with a comment on the severity of the issue. Having said that, the patches don't always turn up quick enough.

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Topic Starter Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Well, as there is no patch for this I can't really say that :|

I called MS and asked them and they said it will take "a while" since the hotfix must be tested etc first... He said more than one month...

11. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

First of all.. There is a difference between an exploit and an exploit and between a program and a program.

In a UNIX security model it is virtually impossible to exploit a user program to gain complete control over the system. Unlike Windows that lets every screensaver s*** all over the system. And have you heard of an exploit of Minesweeper or MS Solitaire? They are just as widespread programs as IE.

And the attitude that it's OK to have holes in software is completely flawed. "Hey, it's life, people die. No point in doing medical research."

Second.. Loud noise is the only thing that makes MS issue patches (although it seems that no amount of press or exploits makes them work harder)

You are forgetting that at least 90% of people still don't do that. But with every press release hopefully at least one dumbuser (no offense Agissi and Acidosmosis :p )gets the revelation to switch away from IE or actually install some patches.

12. Security holes in browsers

The thing is, the reason IE is being found to have so many holes is that it is THE ONLY TARGET. If all the hackers and crackers were to concentrate on ANY OTHER program or OS, I am certain they would start finding holes in everything as well. No one cares enough to try, apparently.

At any rate, I have started to get away from IE and OE because of the risks and (accidentally?) found the best browser ever. Mozilla.org's new FireFox browser is awesome. Fast, clean and VERY configurable, with hundreds of plugins to add functionality. The email client Thunderbird is not as spectacular and is not integrated into the browser, but it works well.

Do yourselves a favor and go to www.mozilla.org and get FireFox, you won't be sorry.

13. ---agissi---

Well make a new news section with just exploits ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.