Fove VR headset features infrared eye tracking, could be a game-changer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The anticipation for upcoming virtual reality products from companies like Oculus VR and HTC has reached a fever pitch. The one thing that these two frontrunners are missing is eye tracking, a feature that Fove hopes will make its virtual reality headset stand out among the growing crowd of contenders.

Immersion is the name of the game when it comes to VR and Fove believes its infrared eye tracking technology will further enhance the experience and provide a wealth of useful abilities not possible with other headsets.

oculus kickstarter valve htc pc virtual reality vr vr headset oculus rift eye tracking vive vr fove depth of field fove headset eye tracking technology

Specifically, the headset will allow users to aim with their eyes, make eye contact with virtual characters just like in the real world and provide unprecedented depth of field – again, just like in the real world.

An added benefit of using eye tracking technology is that it allows the graphics engine to adjust focus and allocate rendering resources accordingly. This means the system won’t be wasting processing power to render something you aren’t actively looking at which could translate into lax hardware requirements.

oculus kickstarter valve htc pc virtual reality vr vr headset oculus rift eye tracking vive vr fove depth of field fove headset eye tracking technology

Fove also promises wearers won’t suffer as badly from nausea often associated with wearing a virtual reality headset.

Fove is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter. With 45 days remaining and more than $120,000 of its $250,000 goal realized, Fove looks as if it could give the industry’s top players some serious competition. A pledge of $349 will guarantee you a headset and development kit come May 2016.

Permalink to story.

Pretty cool, I'm sure there are many more advantages soon to be realized associated with eye tracking. It is also good to see another competitor may be entering the VR market.

VR Headsets have a problem with blocking vision to your hands, and leaking light in which breaks the experience. So I won't see the buttons on a controller, or keyboard without some trouble. Eye tracking might be a good way to control actions with-in the game. I'll hang out here with the others who are waiting to see what happens.

Just wondering. Is it safe for the device to cast infrared to user's eyes the whole time?
It depends on the wavelength of the light. As long as it isn't focused on the retina it should be fine (the cornea is one of the fastest regenerating tissues in your body). In general, it is hard to find light sources in the IR that are powerful enough to do damage. You would get eye damage from the light of display screen long before the IR light does something to you.

Cool, this is awersome. A lot of people with disabilities can use this in order to improve their skills. I have one from cooltool.com and I am glad with it. I even dont imagine my life without it now.:cool: Pretty cool)

Back