FPS good, but the image is tearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesqin

Hi guys,

I recently installed a new graphic card - new Gigabyte HD585OC. Prior to that I was running only integraded chipset HD 3200. Of course Im very happy with my new graphic (I also installed new PSU - Corsair VX550 550W) and the difference is remarkable.
But.. I thought that with this graphic I would be, for example able to run LOTRO at full details at my current crapy resolution 1280x1024. but if I turn on Anti-Aliasing x8 instead of x4 the game runs good (fps metter 40-50) but it lags. Like the FPS is still up and high, but the image is tearing a little. Also my copm makes this tear-noise for example when the far textures are loading and Im sure thats the noise comming out of my procesor or whatever but not the graphic card.

Here are my specs:

1. Motherboard - ASUS M3A78 PRO
2. Graphic interface - Gigabyte Radeon HD 585OC
3. Memory -2048mb (dual)
4. CPU -AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
5. CPU Speed -3111 (overclock from 2900) / bus speed: 213,6 MHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - Corsair VX550 550W
7. Watt output/Amperage -dunno where to find the one, because there are so many displayed in AMD OverDrive / other programes
8. OS: Windows XP Prof. 32bit

Now, I know that my procesor is slowing the card down, thats obvious, But I though that if I added maybe some aditional RAM it might have helped a little (even though running XP with 2gb, resp. 1,75gb should be allright).
So do you have any suggestions on what should I do to get rid of this tearing ?
Thanks for any help !

Tearing is typically caused by 2 things (that I can think of); 1 - drivers, 2 - heat.

Drivers being the more likely of the 2. So I'd make sure you have the most up to date drivers for the card before getting concerned about heat. If you have done that, then I'd look into something to speed up your GPU fan (RivaTuner?).

well I should have the most up-to-date drivers catalyst 10.4. As for the heat, the temperature of GPU is, while playing around 52 so that shouldn't be the problem right ?
really, it usually happens, when the far-textures are loading and my computer makes this "hard-working" noise..

You can also see tearing sometimes when running at a decent frame rate if you have vsync off. Try turning it on to see if there is any difference. Also, on a game like that can you really tell the difference between 4X AA and 8XAA?

the difference is like 20fps but visualy very little.. thats not the point, I just thought that HD 5850 should be able to run it at max details without any problem.. I mean I run dragon age with 8x aa with no problems but LOTRO just tears..

I would upgrade the CPU. I highly reccomened the AMD Phenom II x4 955.

That Radeon 5850 can power pretty much anygame without lag. Maybe LOTRO relys more on CPU power rather then GPU power. I can garruntee you that a faster CPU such as the Phenom II i mentioned will improve the systems performance quite significantly. As it will remove most of the bottleneck that the 5600+ is doing to your video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...808&cm_re=phenom_ii_x4-_-19-103-808-_-Product

Im fairly sure upgrading to that will solve almost all of your lagging and tearing problems and provide the whole system (spacificaly games) with a very nice performance boost.

You may also like to concider upgrading to Windows 7 aswell. Windows XP is beggining to get very dated now. Plus with Windows 7, you can use that video cards DirectX 11 features and also DirectX 10.

Also, try turning vsync on the the games options. That may fix the tearing a little bit. But definately go with that new CPU so you can get the most out of your card.

are you using a really old monitor with a 15ms+ response time?
@ HK, in what game is 50-60 FPS "ugly"?

if hes running games at 1280x1024, then i dout his monitor is very old. And if hes using CRT. Response time doesnt apply. If his monitor is LCD then its response time is probably around 7ms, which is still faster then our eyes can see anyway. I still think upgrading the CPU will help more than anything else.

he didnt. But he did note the resolution. An LCD monitor with that resolution is probably around 7ms.

whoa ok then, i was wrong, that monitor is 16ms. The FPS dropping while around alot of textures definately sounds like the slower CPU's fault. I still recomened upgrading it to the phenom II i linked you to in my first post if you can.

ok I'll probably do that.. I also need to upgrade this monitor as this resolution really kills the interface :(

I think its fairly obvious when anything is running at 60fps compared to 100, that is depending on how fast you look around. Movies and such usually look fine at 30. 150+ and I tend not to see much difference.

if you have a constant 60 fps and it never drops below that then you can not tell the difference because its the same as the refresh rate on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back