FPS in MOH:SH

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone i have a question about medal of honor spearhead.
i used to play this game on my labtop, had a ATI mobility radeon graphics card 32 mb, 256 ram, 1.6 ghz proccessor and 40 gig harddrive.. not that good but not bad, but when playing, i had great fps, around 60 usually, 100 at high spots and maybe 35 in some.. but overall great perforance.

2 days ago, my computer battery pack decided to die so now its getting ready to be shipped off to dell to get fixed.

therefore, now im on my desktop. now my desktop never had that "gaming" purpose, since i did all my work on it, but now i decided to try it. my techs for my desktop are

64 mb SiS video card
2.0 ghz pentium 4 processor
512 mb ram
and 60 gig harddrive

now, techinically, this computer should run better in MOH than my labtop, yet, when i installed and started playing, i got 10 FPS!! 10 - 15! max 15! this was very strange, so i decided to defragment my disk, which i did, and also i checked for spyware/adware, and closed all programs.

i then put all my settings on to low, and lowered the resolution by one notch.
my FPS was still 10!

ive looked around but couldnt find anything that helped me very much, so if you could help me i would GREATLY appreciate it. thanks in advance and hope to hear from everyone soon.
kev

I'm assuming the graphics card is a pci? If so, that will be the reason. Have a look in your mobo manual and see if it has an agp slot. It sounds like your system is far from new so its crucial to find out what agp speed it is if it has it.

um, i dont think my card is an PCI card, my video card is built into my mother board, SIS 651/962L. Here, this is a picture of what my computer looks like inside, as you can see bellow the PCI slots is my video card

AGP im no good with this and i lost my maunal so im wondering if you could help me some more..

anyways heres a picture of my motherboard with the video card and pci slots

mx46-533v-l.jpg

The brown slot next to the heat sink with A Open next to it is an agp slot. Agp is accelerated graphics port which means its designed specifically for graphics cards.

Fitting an agp card should make the pc much better for gaming than on board graphics.
On board graphics shares system ram whereas a plug in card has its own.

We need to know what agp speed your mobo supports.
I just googled it, its agp x2/x4. This means you need a card that is x2/x4. An agp x4/x8 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY!!!!!!
Agp x2/x4 runs at a higher voltage than a x4/x8 does.
Fitting a x4/x8 can damage both the mobo and the graphics card.

Putting an agp x2/x4 into your system will make a big improvement over on board graphics for sure.

I hope that wasn't too technical for you, but you need to understand that its important to get the right card. If you decide to get one, then i can help you to install it without a problem.

64 mb SiS video card
that sounds like an onboard graphics card.. which would answer your question completely... you can probably read about onboard graphics cards not *ever* going to give you decent game quality, at least video wise....

your mobo has an ability to upgrade its video card to a AGP 4X compatible card.. do so. then it will be faster... (brown slot underneath the cmos battery i think...)

rik said:
The brown slot next to the heat sink with A Open next to it is an agp slot. Agp is accelerated graphics port which means its designed specifically for graphics cards.

Fitting an agp card should make the pc much better for gaming than on board graphics.
On board graphics shares system ram whereas a plug in card has its own.

We need to know what agp speed your mobo supports.
I just googled it, its agp x2/x4. This means you need a card that is x2/x4. An agp x4/x8 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY!!!!!!
Agp x2/x4 runs at a higher voltage than a x4/x8 does.
Fitting a x4/x8 can damage both the mobo and the graphics card.

Putting an agp x2/x4 into your system will make a big improvement over on board graphics for sure.

I hope that wasn't too technical for you, but you need to understand that its important to get the right card. If you decide to get one, then i can help you to install it without a problem.
Are u sure about that? Coz my dad's PC runs an x4/x8 9200SE while the mobo supports only x4. It just clocks it down to the lower speed.
As for an AGP card, a 6600GT is a good budget buy, but for a more powerful card, try the X800 GTO or the 6800 GS. Me personally would go for the X800 GTO but if ur short on cash, the 6600 GT is a great budget buy.

Ah! thanks for all the replies guys, I greatly greatly appreciate it. Okay so my problem is that I have a on board graphics card, and currently, the only situaton is to get a AGP card.

alright, thanks to rik, he got the speed, mine should be either 2x or 4x if im not mistaken. i have a few questions though.. first off, this computer was bought in japan, if i order a agp card from anywhere in the world, will there be conflicts? second, my computer is a slim case type thing, and i know this because last time i went to the computer shop i told them i wanted to install a new graphics card and they said that i couldnt install the new ones due to my computer being a "slim case" or something. so therefore, just to be clear, a AGP card is not the same as a new graphics card..

and also rage told me to go for x800 gto, thats by ATI i assume, will those companies agp cards work for my SiS graphics card?
thanks again, kev

Are u willing to spend much? U can also get a 7800 GS which is the fastest AGP chip on the planet as of now. But its very expensive(around $400-$500 i believe). The SIS card is just the on-board card and can be replaced by any card in the AGP slot. And yes, X800 GTO is an ATI card. Also, u can order ur card from anywhere in the world,no conflicts. Can u post a pic of ur PC? Coz if its a miniAtx then u'll have some difficulty in finding a card that can fit.

2x/4x? i thought it was 4x/8x that are back/forwards compatible with each other (something about voltage?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back