Frame Skip/Small Lag Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptunus

Hey, im new to this community, but i know a little about computers :).

My problem is that recently my computer has started to frame skip in games.
I have no idea why or how this has started, and i would hope that u guys here at Techspot could help me out. The 2 games i have been playing recently are Warcraft 3 TFT, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. The frame skipping started about 5 days ago. The games ran extremly well before that. I have tried to defragment both C and D Hard-drives, but it didnt help. I have also checked for any problems in the Drives, but they seem to be fine. I think the frame skip is because i have dust in my computer ( laptop ), but i do not wish to open up the case, since i am not very good at that stuff.

My specs are:
1.5 Ghz Intel Pentium M Processor ( It is the same as 2.6 ghz Intel Pentium 4 )
512 MB Ram
Ati Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB.

Hope that u can help me out with this problem. :)

Lag problems like that can be caused by low harddrive space. How much space do u have total/used?

4.19 G in C:
16.2 G in D: Where all of my games are installed.

Total space in C is: 19.5 G
Total space in D is: 36.3 G

I think the frame skip is because i have dust in my computer ( laptop ), but i do not wish to open up the case, since i am not very good at that stuff.
You can use a can of compressed air to dislodge some of that dust inside, without opening the laptop up.. but try not to make the fans spin furiously..

I assume you've already tried basic hdd maintainance like defrag and chkdsk /f etc? Check what programs are running in the background and taking up resources, try and close them (non essential ones only, so leave the firewall/AV software etc running, unless you have norton, in which case reply with your next post). Have you tried looking for updated drivers for your laptop?

I did the virus scan that RICK gave me, it found some adware and cookies, but not much more. I deleted them, but it didnt help. And when it comes to background tasks, there arent many tasks that take up more than 3000 kb, there is one which takes 12000 but thats about it, should i close it?

Try those games in a lower setting (graphicly) than the one you have currently on there if you've already got the newest directx9c and ati video card drivers.. download CCleaner and clean up your registry.. see if that helps it..

otherwise, try go to start>run and type in msconfig [enter] select "diagnostic startup" on that list and reboot. See if that makes a difference.

If it does, then go back into the msconfig utillity, and go to each tab and enable the settings in it. Reboot and try the game, and then enable all the settings on the next tab. Repeat the cycle untill you find the tab responsible for the stall, and then narrow your search to find what processes/startup apps/services etc are the culprits.. its quite time consuming though..

If it doesnt make any difference, then post back..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back