Frazzled Female

Apr 24, 2008
  1. Hi there. Glad to be here ......I am from the UK and love my PC....It has helped me make a lot of friends all over the world and it's been a real treasure.
    I have a dog and cat and I love my garden especially in the Spring.
    So this is an opportunity for me to get to know you guys and gals. :grinthumb
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Then why are you frazzled?
  3. BLUES4U

BLUES4U TS Rookie Topic Starter

The reason I am frazzles is, I have a 320GB HD in my PC and the guy at the shop installed Windows XP Pro on it without partitioning it. This seems a complete waste. I have read up on Partition Magic and also Acronis PartitionExpert but I just can't understand if I can keep the OS by making a smaller partition......Like 50GBs and then partition the rest for other uses. I have no idea if this is possible or will I wipe off my OS if I try.
  4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Yes, you can add a partition, or change the size of a partition.
    However, there is no reason why you cannot use the entire drive, either, by use of Folders... unless you are intending to have Linux, Windows 2000 or other OS on the other partition.
    You usually don't improve security much by adding a partition. When the WXP partition fails, it is very difficult to gat at any data in the hidden partition.
    Partitions are not permanently foolproof either.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.