FREE boot cd's for xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

liyzst

hi every1

i need to get my hnds on a xp boot cd to try and repair my pc.
does anybody know if i need a specific type of boot cd as my OS is mediacenter 2005 or will any XP home boot cd do??

and does anybody know any sites where i can download free boot cd's i tried bootdisk.com and altho they only charge a few dollars as i am a starving (ahhh) student i am unable to currently afford this!!(shocking i know- have a word with Mr Blair about tuition fees if u are outraged!!)

PLZ help me my comp is my life and therefore have very little to live for!

Get your hands on an XP install disk... if you have a floppy, you may be able to use a Windows 98SE boot floppy too

Well if your that starving and poor , sell the PC and go back to writing in books, like we used to do when we were in college, in fact get a job you bone idle layabout

Just kidding....:cool: you seem to be getting mistaken between what you need and what you want.

To do a repair of an OS you need an original (or copy but I didnt say that) of the OS disk that is currently installed on your PC.

I dont know if you can use Floppies at all or if XP MC has that option to create them as I always use the CD.

:Tmagic650: what use is a 98SE boot floppy.....?

Regards

Tmagic650: what use is a 98SE boot floppy.....?

Well Ididmyc600,
you may be able to manually "look" at some critical files on the hard drive. I know FAT and NTFS is an issue, but it seems to me I have used something like the 98 floppy before ;)

a win98 boot disk will get that system booted up no matter what. The downside is, it won't recognize the Windows XP NTFS partition (Assuming you made it an ntfs partition). What you can do is try getting a Knoppix Live CD or Damn Small Linux live CD to boot up the system, it has the capability to read (not write to, as far as i remember) to NTFS partition.

Tmagic650 said:
Tmagic650: what use is a 98SE boot floppy.....?

Well Ididmyc600,
you may be able to manually "look" at some critical files on the hard drive. I know FAT and NTFS is an issue, but it seems to me I have used something like the 98 floppy before ;)

Sorry Tmagic I wasnt questioning your IT experience there I just wondered how a 98 floppy would help, but I see your point, if its FAT if its NTFS your gonna need readNTFS.exe.

The point is the poster hasnt stated what the actual problem is, so until she does its a moot point.

Regards

I'm pretty sure that I had an ME Bootdisk recognized by an NTFS Partition of Xp, making me able to go into DOS and, well, in my case, format ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back