Free cable with cable modem???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered cable modem from "Cox Communications", (it'll be here this monday) and now im startin to think if its possible to get a splitter and run it to the tv and have "basic cable"...i don't know if it will work, but several people at my work-place says it does work....right now i got DSL runnin off a router (well my bros do, im just using theres for now.....and the router splits up and goes into 3 other rooms) and im a downloader,lol, and everytime start downloadin something, my bros or step-dad comes in my room and starts bitchin about the internet being to slow, so i end up pausing the download and have to wait until everybody gets settled down for bed ya know...(everybodys been there before,lol)..thats why i decided to make the switch to cable modem, i mean its faster, uh, faster.....oh, and more faster,lol....AND, hence the idea of watchin tv while i got a download goin ya know....so if its possible to get basic cable with just only being suscribed to cable modem, that would be kick ***, ya know,lol, so any help on this would be great...thanks...

Hmmm......

I'm not certain you're allowed this line of "investigation" in this forum. But by all means, hang out and wait for a second opinion.

oh, so your saying that your not curious to even plug your cable wire from your modem to your tv, just to see if you got cable tv as well?????? thats like "ordering an 8800 gtx video card and you accidently get 2 of them shipped to ya and instead of one....ya know.....if you got somethin "free", why correct it or say somethin about, ya know....i wouldn't,lol.....

Ok, first off, that is illegal. But, to answer your question, i believe it does work.

Surely to have a cable television service you would need some kind of cable television box to decode the signals, apart from which unless the cable company instruct their computers to send a cable TV signal down the line then your only going to get an internet service,

I speak from England where NTL (now Virgin Media) supply the service, I have 1 cable coming into the house which is split between a cable modem and a Samsung cable decoder, NTL can switch of either without interupting the service to the other.

Might not be the same with you though..

Regards

With Cox (i have them too)..the cable box is an option, where you have to pay an extra $6 a month for digital service..and $12 for HD. But..if your television has a built in tuner..then you can just plug the coax straight into your t.v. and get basic cable.

Orwellian tellevisian......

biohazard_1985 said:
oh, so your saying that your not curious to even plug your cable wire from your modem to your tv, just to see if you got cable tv as well?????? thats like "ordering an 8800 gtx video card and you accidently get 2 of them shipped to ya and instead of one....ya know.....if you got somethin "free", why correct it or say somethin about, ya know....i wouldn't,lol.....

I'm saying I live in a place where everything is scrambled, even my thoughts.
Comcast, Verizon, I'm on the east coast of the colonies, and Big Brother really frowns on such behaviors. Besides I can't afford cable, I've been spending all my money at Newegg.

you should be able to pick up analog cable, but not paying for the service is theft. Most cable companies will assume you will split the signal however, and charge you accordingly.

is there a way that they can see what your doin? cause im not sayin that im gonna do it, im just sayin that when a download is gonna take like 2 hrs, and you remember hearing somethin about a tv show being on...it'll be kool to just split the signal and watch some good ol' tv and wait for the download to finish ya know....im still gonna upgrade to basic cable, that was just a thought i had, ya know....like "in the mean-time" type of thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back