Free Partition utilities?

By beerabuser30
Nov 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I finally got Linux and now I need to find some sort of partition software. I have zero cash and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
  2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I've used Ranish and it has worked pretty well. I'm afraid there hasn't been a new version in awhile though... Not sure if that makes a difference for you or not.

www.ranish.com

I'm sure someone else has a s****etion too... One that might be newer and better. ;)
  3. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 294

Thanks I am downloading it right now have any advice while using this?
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Cross your fingers!!!!!!

:haha:
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

What Linux distro is it? All the new userfriendly ones come with an installer that slices, dices and resizes all your partitions.
  6. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 294

It is a redhat version. I got it with a book I bought. Flipping through the instructions it said I needed a partition program since it is nfts.
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

If it is RedHat then yes, you need a special program to resize NTFS. The only free tool I know of is ntfsresize from the Linux NTFS project. I would imagine you can find it on the latest Knoppix or INSERT CDs.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.