Free Software Downloads But Won't Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babs1

I have Windows XP and found Free Software that I downloaded from the Internet on my Desktop. It downloaded but won't install. I than went on my Laptop and downloaded it from the same site and it installed right away and is up and running on my laptop. I have all the requirements on my Desktop that is required for this software so could there be a problem with the computer that a tech needs to look at. This is not the first software that I have tried to download that will not install.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Most "free" software should be approached with caution.
That's a bold statement.. Perhaps you mean the software that is advertised on the inetrenet with two-inch-tall block letters saying "FREE" in which case I would agree.

Make sure Windows Installer isn't disabled, maybe?

Start->Run
Type "services.msc" (without quotes) in the dialog box
Click OK
Scroll down to Windows Installer
Right click, go to Properties
Under startup type, make sure it isn't "disabled". Setting it to manual or automatic should fix it (assuming it's the problem in the first place).

Free Software that will download but not install

I went to Windows Installer and it was on Manual so I put it on Auto, but that didn't solve the problem. The software is Picasa from Google and it is for help in editing and share pictures on the PC.

Like I said before it installed perfectly on the Laptop with no problems whatsoever. Does anyone else have any more suggestions. I thank you for the above suggestion because I didn't even know the "sevice" existed. I have now made a note of that.
Barbara

Ok. And "won't install" means what? You double-click the installer package and nothing happens? What is the file called?

Yes, that's right. I double-click and nothing happens. It won't open. Under properties it says: original file name: payload.exe. , file version 1.0.0.1.

Under General tab it says, "type of file" = application , Description: Picasa setup.

What is the file size? Does it match the size on the laptop? Perhaps you have a broken download..

Disabling your antivirus and/or spyware programs might help too.

Thanks Nodsu,
I am not computer savay so where would I find the file size - and what do you mean when you say my download might be broke? Thanks for responding.
Barbara

Thanks Beerabuser30,
The desktop were I downloaded this software (by the way I can't even uninstall it) says under properties: Size: 3.93 MB (4,126,240 Bytes) Size on Disk: 3.93 MB (4,128,768 bytes). On the laptop under properties it says: Size:666 bytes (666 bhytes) and Save on Disk: 4.00 KB (4,096 bytes).

Now like I said I have no idea what this means. I do understand a little of the MB and KB but is this my problem?
Thanks for everyones' input.
Barbara
P.s. what does it mean if download is broke?

Broke download means something did not download correctly. Since the one on the laptop is larger I would just download it again and reinstall, something is missing.

beerabuser30 said:
Broke download means something did not download correctly. Since the one on the laptop is larger I would just download it again and reinstall, something is missing.
Correction, the one on the desktop is larger. But the one on the laptop works and the one on the desktop doesn't? Wierd! I still think it may be malicious software.
Oh, and check out this link. Seems there are people who have been bombarded with spyware and adware after installing Picasa.
http://google.weblogsinc.com/2004/07/20/google-giving-away-picasa-software-for-free/

Thanks guys,
Thanks for explaining the download thing. The problem is also I can't uninstall this thing. It is not in Add/Remove Program and when I tried to see where it was on my Computer C drive it wasn't there. The only place I can find it is by doing a "search" and than it comes up with quite a few items on it pertaining to the software.

I did download it again and that is why so many items in the search. I quess it is time to have it looked at. Something must be wrong with the PC.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

I think someone mentioned watch out for free software
even trusted working software thats free can be buggy what is called bata versions
always do a search for forums and popular development websites that will discuss the software you want to use.
the nice quite little link to get me now while you can or your the 1 millionth vistor so click here for your free pc fixer
post the hijackthis log
whats hijackthis you ask do search here for where to get it and how to post here
get it now its free

In your original post you said it downloaded but would not install. That means it never installed and will not be in add/remove programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back