Free-to-play Killer Instinct arrives on the PC, includes cross-platform support with Xbox One

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Killer Instinct is now available on PC… that is, if you have a Windows 10 machine. The game was recently released in the Windows Store alongside the Season 3 DLC for the Xbox One version.

The free-to-play game’s arrival on the PC ushers in Microsoft’s latest attempt at cross-platform gaming which means those playing Killer Instinct on the Xbox One can now do battle with foes on the PC.

If you already have the game on Xbox One and have purchased in-game extras, Microsoft recommends launching that version to grab the latest update before playing the PC version as all purchases and saved progress will carry over to the PC.

It’s worth pointing out that the PC version can run the game to match whatever hardware you have. If your machine is loaded with the latest and greatest and you have a capable monitor, 4K is certainly possible and would no doubt look gorgeous.

I should also point out that Killer Instinct is only offered on the PC through the Windows Store (you won’t find it on Steam, for example). And remember, you’ll need to be running Windows 10 as older Microsoft operating systems aren’t supported.

Killer Instinct is the first of what we hope will be many more cross-platform titles to come. Next week, Microsoft plans to launch Quantum Break simultaneously on the Xbox One and PC and we’ve heard rumors that Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War 4 and others will also get the cross-platform treatment.

Permalink to story.

I'll have to give this a shot since I returned my copy of SFV until it actually has some @#$%ing content.

I really hope this game gets cracked! I refuse to get win10, but I love this game. so crackers, plz make it able to play on win 8.1 and 7 :) ms, screw you...

I really hope this game gets cracked! I refuse to get win10, but I love this game. so crackers, plz make it able to play on win 8.1 and 7 :) ms, screw you...

You have win 8.1 which is infinitely more shitty than 10 and say you'd rather use that?!

I work on computers for a living, win10 is no angel but heck its WAY better than W8/8.1 and I still love windows 7 but W10 really has no issues at all that should stop people from being able to use it.

Get it while its free or be on the wrong side of history.

I tried it on X1, you get to use 1, maybe 2 characters and thats it.
90% of the games features seemed to be disabled.
Everything else is unlocked via $$$$$$.

I tried it on X1, you get to use 1, maybe 2 characters and thats it.
90% of the games features seemed to be disabled.
Everything else is unlocked via $$$$$$.
Yes, if you want the full game you need to buy it (you can buy a season or all of the previous ones, there are different options). Or you can just buy one single character if you want.

The free version it's like a demo if you want.

Cross-platform, what? So games like Quantum Break will be available on Microsoft-controlled platform. That's not even close to what people commonly think when the word cross-platform is used, so please stop repeating a salesmarketing attempt to blackmail a meaningful word.

Played this yesterday with friends and I will not play it again.
Over 60hz screen? The game increases the speed of the game and you get kicked from multiplayer if you dont lower your monitor settings to 60(the game does not have this option).

Browsing lobbies? No way, you end up in a random lobby with very few search criterias.

Want to play with a xbox one controller? Yes you can! But you need to restard the PC if you want to unplugg/turn the controller off because they broke Windows 10 the 1 Mars with a bad update and they still havnt fixed it. Disconnecting xbox one controllers crashes your PC(after a time where the mouse and keyboard cant interract with windows and the CPU maxes out).

5£ for one character and no way to earn them in game? And a free pool of ONE character? Id rather pay 60USD for a full game.

nope this hasn't been fixed yet.

Hopefully it gets fixed someday! I noticed its not as bad when you select to only queue with PC players, but that shouldn't be whats required.

Played this yesterday with friends and I will not play it again.
Over 60hz screen? The game increases the speed of the game and you get kicked from multiplayer if you dont lower your monitor settings to 60(the game does not have this option).

Browsing lobbies? No way, you end up in a random lobby with very few search criterias.

Want to play with a xbox one controller? Yes you can! But you need to restard the PC if you want to unplugg/turn the controller off because they broke Windows 10 the 1 Mars with a bad update and they still havnt fixed it. Disconnecting xbox one controllers crashes your PC(after a time where the mouse and keyboard cant interract with windows and the CPU maxes out).

5£ for one character and no way to earn them in game? And a free pool of ONE character? Id rather pay 60USD for a full game.

I also had issues with my 144hz monitor, but I had no issues using my Xbone controllers and tournament stick. I uninstalled it as its impossible to unlock the damn characters without paying money.

Hopefully it gets fixed someday! I noticed its not as bad when you select to only queue with PC players, but that shouldn't be whats required.

I also had issues with my 144hz monitor, but I had no issues using my Xbone controllers and tournament stick. I uninstalled it as its impossible to unlock the damn characters without paying money.

Yes when you are playing PC vs PS4 players the loading is far more noticeable and less when its PC vs PC.

Probably because basic PS4 is loading from a hard drive where as most PC players all have SSD's

You have win 8.1 which is infinitely more shitty than 10 and say you'd rather use that?!

I work on computers for a living, win10 is no angel but heck its WAY better than W8/8.1 and I still love windows 7 but W10 really has no issues at all that should stop people from being able to use it.

Get it while its free or be on the wrong side of history.
the games I play doesnt play well on win10. they gets random lags and fps problems, that never were on win 8.1 or 7. so when games that runs smoothly, suddently gets laggy, win10 isnt worth it. and, win7 is 9 secs on boot, while win8.1 is 5 :) win7 simply isnt fast enough for me anymore ;)

Everyone complaining about windows 10 when I have multiple computers on windows 10 with no issues. Let alone tested numerous upgrades at clients offices with plenty of different software and again no issues.

Back