FreedomPop announces The Privacy Phone, a modified Galaxy S2 with built-in encryption

Shawn Knight

Staff member

At first it was apps like Wickr and Silent Circle designed to keep users’ communications safe but now we’re seeing more solutions baked right into handsets. Blackphone is perhaps the most popular example but low-cost mobile provider FreedomPop is now getting in on the action with a modified Samsung smartphone known as The Privacy Phone.

FreedomPop has taken the tried and true (and very dated) Samsung Galaxy S2 and given it a makeover. The retooled phone uses 128-bit encryption to keep calls and text messages private while a virtual private network (VPN) is used to keep data usage safe and secure.

In a statement on the matter, FreedomPop COO Steven Sesar said that in light of recent violations in consumer’s privacy across social networks and mobile devices, privacy is becoming increasingly important to many Americans and we all have a right to communicate anonymously. He goes on to point out that large carriers don’t have the flexibility, desire or creativity to invest in privacy and that they don’t agree with this approach.

The phone runs a version of Android Jelly Bean so it’ll continue to receive updates. The company is also offering the ability to remotely wipe a lost phone and users can request a new phone number as often as they’d like.

The modified smartphone will set you back $189 without a contract, a sum that can be paid for with Bitcoin for added anonymity. That price tag includes three months of unlimited voice, texting and 50MB of data. After that period expires, expect to pay $10 per month for the service.

Permalink to story.

I guess you could argue the S2 is dated but still relevant to it's millions of owners. If it ain't broke why waste money on the latest and soon to be outdated but yet to be released phones? That said this could be the answer to the 'more' paranoid among us.

I upgraded from an S2 to an S4 and miss my S2,if this was sold here I would consider getting one.

Here is the thing though; the phone will be slow, expensive and probably be largely incompatible.

And... for what.... exactly?

You DON'T KNOW if you are being spied on, and heck, if you arne't using your phone to groom children, then what exactly do you have to be scared about on the off chance that somebody IS listening to you?

I get the feeling that people will call this a success because they feel more secure, in the same sense that if they claimed the phone to also repel tigers, it would be amazing because I don't see any tigers about!

Here is the thing though; the phone will be slow, expensive and probably be largely incompatible.

And... for what.... exactly?

You DON'T KNOW if you are being spied on, and heck, if you arne't using your phone to groom children, then what exactly do you have to be scared about on the off chance that somebody IS listening to you?

I get the feeling that people will call this a success because they feel more secure, in the same sense that if they claimed the phone to also repel tigers, it would be amazing because I don't see any tigers about!
define slow. IMO a galaxy S2 is still at least an OK phone.

There was something special about the Galaxy S2 that the S3, S4 and S5 just seemed to lack.

"Here is the thing though; the phone will be slow, expensive and probably be largely incompatible.And... for what.... exactly?
I get the feeling that people will call this a success because they feel more secure, in the same sense that if they claimed the phone to also repel tigers, it would be amazing because I don't see any tigers about!"

..before you make the comments, try to understand first.. This phone is targeted to consumers who values privacy across social networks and mobile devices, the fact is there's a large number of people (and still increasing) who concern their privacy when communicating through their devices (phone call, email, texting, social media, etc). Your comments sounds like people who doesn't care about their own privacy, spying activities might not just be conducted by NSA, but maybe also from people around you, like your friends, coworkers/colleagues, company where your works, or maybe another company conduct industrial espionage who wants to know about your projects

veLa said:There was something special about the Galaxy S2 that the S3, S4 and S5 just seemed to lack.
it was awesome design, something recent samsung phones lack
would be nice if they managed to squeeze inside better battery and replace crappy Yamaha DAC

There was something special about the Galaxy S2 that the S3, S4 and S5 just seemed to lack.
Wow!! You got your hands on an S5 already???

"Here is the thing though; the phone will be slow, expensive and probably be largely incompatible.And... for what.... exactly?
I get the feeling that people will call this a success because they feel more secure, in the same sense that if they claimed the phone to also repel tigers, it would be amazing because I don't see any tigers about!"

..before you make the comments, try to understand first.. This phone is targeted to consumers who values privacy across social networks and mobile devices, the fact is there's a large number of people (and still increasing) who concern their privacy when communicating through their devices (phone call, email, texting, social media, etc). Your comments sounds like people who doesn't care about their own privacy, spying activities might not just be conducted by NSA, but maybe also from people around you, like your friends, coworkers/colleagues, company where your works, or maybe another company conduct industrial espionage who wants to know about your projects
Why would I care about privacy when I'm on the phone? Better yet... why would I care to have encrypted telephone calls and messages? I'm not trying to bomb anything so far... I don't care if facebook reads my messages, hell why should I?? The idea of people bombarding you with ideas such as privacy is so valuable here and there it's ridiculous, unless you are a politician or have sensitive information for your company, country or whatnot. Also, learn to quote.

define slow. IMO a galaxy S2 is still at least an OK phone.
Great I'll buy meself the next OK phone! For what matters I'll get an Optimus One!

Has it ever occured to you that some people don't need flagship phones? or are you to busy attacking people for no reason?

Plans offers you better phones for less that what that is worth, heck for that matter the Moto G is better cheaper and 4G capable.

Plans offers you better phones for less that what that is worth, heck for that matter the Moto G is better cheaper and 4G capable.
does moto g have 128 bit encryption? can you wipe it remotely? change your number whenever? thats the purpose of this phone/plan.

does moto g have 128 bit encryption? can you wipe it remotely? change your number whenever? thats the purpose of this phone/plan.

I could wipe it remotely even with a text message using Delayed Lock. I don't own one of those but it might have or you could always install apps that are meant for that.

The purpose of this OK phone/plan is for those paranoid enough, for the rest any other phone would suffice. Besides, if things go through a VPN who knows who else is watching the traffic.

@Kibaruk
"Why would I care about privacy when I'm on the phone? Better yet... why would I care to have encrypted telephone calls and messages? I'm not trying to bomb anything so far... I don't care if facebook reads my messages, hell why should I?? The idea of people bombarding you with ideas such as privacy is so valuable here and there it's ridiculous, unless you are a politician or have sensitive information for your company, country or whatnot. Also, learn to quote."

Like I said before, the phone is targeted to the people who concern for their privacy and/or have sensitive information, not for the people like you.. unlike you, there are several people who still concern about their privacy. How people value their privacy is relative, but you will value your own privacy until your privacy is invaded by others.
Before you preach other to quote, learn to read carefully first because you seem unable to understand.

Dude... use the reply function.

How is having a phone like this better than downloading an app like RedPhone, Cellcrypt, Ostel, Silent Phone, Gibberbot, TextSecure, etc etc etc in a not OK phone but a great one, along with functions to encrypt the phone, etc.

Also, if you call someone who doesn't have encryption how does it work? Wouldn't it be left unsecure?

Back