TechSpot

Freeze,alt control delete doesn't work, lose all icons

By debzim
Sep 30, 2007
  1. I am hoping someone on this forum can help me. I have a Thinkpad X60s, about a year old and I am running XP. Randomly my computer becomes sluggish so I try closing programs. I then figure out that one program is frozen (come to think of it, that program may always be IE) and I can't close it. I then try to warm boot with ALT CONTROL DELETE but it doesn't work. In fact, instead of getting the task manager, my screen saver comes up without any icons on my desktop. I have no cursor and can't do anything but unplug or take out battery and manually crash the computer. It then will start normally though it takes longer for the icons to appear.

I regularly download both IBM and Windows updates, I defrag regularly, do virus scans etc using Norton 360. I also have run Think Pad Productivity Center maintenance tasks.

Other than that and the slugglishness the computer runs ok.

Any help out there? I am frustrated and IBM has not been able to help, except by telling me to change the hard drive or send it to them.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Yes I think this is a hard drive issue too. Check to see how much space you have left on it. Go to My computer and right-click on the C drive icon. Click Properties... Also, you might consider checking the hard drive with a utility like Seatools from Seagate. IBM notebook drives are noted for their high failure rates...

Back up your important data please, ASAP

Good luck

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.