Freeze -> Restart

binnen

Hello!

My computer starts up normally, but after logging in the whole computer freezes. It acts normally, I can move the mouse around but as soon as I click on anything, it will just freeze and after a couple of minutes it will restart. If I try to restart the computer instantly it might freeze somewhere between BIOS screen and "Initializing Windows" screen.
I run a dual-boot with Windows XP and Windows 7. I have the same problem with both of them, though it was a time since I used XP.

Any suggestions to what is wrong or what I should check?

Sincerely, Binnen

- Remove unused programs
- Install and run antispyware software
- Free up wasted space with Disk Cleanup tool
- Defragment your hard disk drive
- Disconnect unused network connections:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Disconnect Network Drive.

Select the network drives that you no longer need, and then click OK.

ALSO

- Stop Unwanted startup programs:

Start > Run > write msconfig > Click on StartUp tab
Deselect the programs you want to stop

Click Start - Run, type in %temp% and then click OK.

Once that temp folder is open and you can view its contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside it.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

Repeat the steps with c:\windows\temp

After you're done with both temp folders, restart the computer.

A failing or corrupt hard drive may be the cause of this...

I've had trouble with "System boot failed; Please insert system disk and press enter to continue", Does this point in the direction that the hard drive is faulty?
The chipset fan (northbridge fan) isn't spinning either. It just started freezing a random day, never happened before.

Tried to reformat/reinstall windows 7.
I got about 1-2 minutes into the install when I BSoD hit me.

Also, Gracebie, at the moment I can't even startup windows, so I'm convinced this is a hardware issue. (freeze even at bios screen, even in safe mode, BSoD even in windows installation disk

Another update:
Removed 3 ram sticks to make sure only 1 ram memory was in use, then succeded in starting up windows 7 installation.
When I selected to install a new windows, I couldn't detect any hard drive. Spontaneous thought: The hard drive is broken, as a result of me cutting the power instead of shuting down properly.
Do I just buy a new hard drive, and act like nothing happened?
I have a couple of laptops, one where the processor is faulty and one with a broken mobo. Is there a way for me to take the SATA from one of these and connect to the stationary computer? Adapter, etc?
Will it matter that the chipset fan // Northbridge fan isn't working?

A lot of update from me :)
Switched the SATA but can't discover any of the HDDs from either bios or windows 7 disk

I won't ask you to look into this matter any more, I got everything out of the chassi and I'm going to order a new mobo+processor+ram+graphics card and put it in there.
Not solved but not a problem anymore

Back