Freeze up anytime any app starts, (worked yesterday?!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidkid1

Okay folks. So I came in to work and computer was frozen. Upon reboot it gave me a code (?) error -310. Something about not the proper index, and someting about a leaf file, etc. (sorry I have my notes in my car)

Whenever I reboot, and start any ap, Firefox, or even empty the trash, or open up the My Computer window to go into a drive . . . it freezes.

It worked fine the night before and now, it's kapoot. If anyone has had similar problems, can you post and give me your feedback.

I'm running a P4 (631), 1 GB of RAM, Service Pack 2 with a GeForce nVidia 7600 graphics card, the MoBo is an Intel board.

This was all fine earlier in the week. I also noticed an application that 'encountered an error". This application was related to the NovaStor BACKUP software. Initially I thought this ap was messing around with my indexing files, changing dates and stuff. I got rid of it but the problem persists.

Any help would be awesome.

You can type "msconfig" in the Run box > hit enter. This will give you a Selective start up window where you can shutoff all (non-Microsoft/system)programs from starting .Then if windows reboots>uncheck one program at a time and restart until you find which program causes your problem.
Or you could use System restore to revert your system back to a successful start.
You should have your Data backed up before you start any of this.

Try running System File Checker, witht he XP Cd in the drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow

Well I broke down and called the Geek Squad. I just didnt have time to figure it all out. My last computer problem, (see previous post) lasted a week for me to trouble shoot. Major overhaul.

The Geek tracked down a bad indexing algorythm on a drive that was having trouble reading and writing. And Novastore's Backup was doing something freaky. Cheers all, thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back