Freezing/Crashing Computer Problem - can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my computer keeps crashing (there is not reboot, it just freezes); here's what I've done to try and troubleshoot it:

- Taken ALL components out of expansion slots.
- Tried another (more powerful) PSU.
- Disconnected Secondary IDE and tried to install OS onto a fresh drive (Windows ME); still crashes with only that drive connected.
- Removed both RAM chips, and tried each of the four I have individually. Two of these are from other computers so the chance of them ALL being faulty is very very small. Also ran a memory tester (memtest86) - all clear.
- Re-fitted the CPU and heatsink.
- I've also tried resetting the BIOS (popping the battery out and back in again).

However, when I run another memory tester (memtest by Alexander Grigoriev) the PC crashes after the first test and totally freezes. I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with my memory slots.

It was running fine for months with its current configuration, so something has changed...I'm not sure what.

I'd really appreciate any info guys.

Thanks,

John

Also, the num lock doesn't work when it freezes, nor does the mouse.

But I have a question: how hot is the CPU meant to get? I've set BIOS to warn me if things get too hot so it should be fine temperature-wise...

What are your system specs? Some CPU's typically run hot others run cool (relatively speaking).

Intel 815 chipset, 128MB GeForce graphics card, PIII 1Ghz (It's old!), a lovely PSU that should power every single thing, two chips of 256MB SD RAM 133Mhz. 3xHDD: 80GB, 40GB, 20GB.

Info to Provide

Hmmm... I doubt that I personally can find a solution to your problem. I do, however, know that this is some information to provide to someone who does:
-If it freezes while running programs or if it also freezes while idling.
-If It freezes while running specific programs, what those programs are.
-Maybe a Hijackthis log.
-How long it takes for it to freeze after booting.
-Any error messages displayed when rebooting.
-If You can't get the HJT log then, whether you could possibly have a virus or adware (was it connected to the internet?)
-What antivirus, or other malicious software removal tools you had installed and were using and updating.

aman501 said:
Hmmm... I doubt that I personally can find a solution to your problem. I do, however, know that this is some information to provide to someone who does:
-If it freezes while running programs or if it also freezes while idling.
-If It freezes while running specific programs, what those programs are.
-Maybe a Hijackthis log.
-How long it takes for it to freeze after booting.
-Any error messages displayed when rebooting.
-If You can't get the HJT log then, whether you could possibly have a virus or adware (was it connected to the internet?)
-What antivirus, or other malicious software removal tools you had installed and were using and updating.

It freezes while running any programs in general. It does this on a clean install so there's no need for a hijackthis log. It takes random periods before it freezes.

I'm curious, does it just freeze or does it freeze, then give you a blue screen? cause my computer is havin' similiar problems I think.

idozier420 said:
I'm curious, does it just freeze or does it freeze, then give you a blue screen? cause my computer is havin' similiar problems I think.

It depends...Mostly just freezing and nothing much else happens. Occasionally there's a BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back