Freezing Right Click

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All

I have read every single one of your posts and none have seemed to able to help me with my particular problem , Every time I right click on a icon on my desk top it freezes , the same thing happens when I right click in programmes after the start menu , I havnt been game to right click anywhere else in windows in case the same thing happens although "my pictures" and picasso are working fine . I tried right clicking on my desktop without an icon and it works well , with the approprieate drop down coming up .I use firefox (which I love) internet browser which works well with nill problems with my right click function .

I use

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service pack 2

Intel [R]
Pentium [R] 4 CPU 3.20 GHZ
3.20 GHZ , 0.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Tell me what you think of my systym while your at it , if you dont mind {;o)

I would appreciate any help as its driving me nuts
Thank You Knight11

perhaps it was turned off in the control panel. Go to control panel and mouse buttons and check there.

A faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menus appears to be the problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

From - http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.ph...C_causing_crash

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

or

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back