Freezing while moving folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am experiencing a strange problem and am in need of help because im not a techie myself so i'm hoping you guys can help me :)

whenever i attempt to move a file, for example a picture from my desktop into a folder that is also on my desktop or vice versa, the file will move and display that it is in the folder or on the desktop, but the message "moving 1 item" remains. the bar showing the time it takes to move is complete, and the time remaining displays as 'calculating'

in addition every time i also attempt to rename a file or edit a file in any way i experience the same problem.

additional notes: rundll32.exe crashes very often for me. could it be related?

i ran a virus scan with no results.

my solution: restart explorer.exe

that works every time and gets rid of the message, however you can realize why this is an annoyance to me.

please help :(

We need to know your brand and model, and age of the computer... as well as configuration: hard drive make and size, memory make and size, cooling system, and power supply brand and power rating.
Otherwise, we are just guessing without a reference point.

I can imagine how annoying it must be.

Please follow Raybays suggestion as well, its needed information

You may be missing some vital system files, you could run either a chkdsk or a SFC (system file checker). It is up to you, chkdsk requires you to restart the computer and SFC requires your operating system disk if it needs to replace any files.

To run chkdsk.

Start > Run > type cmd > Type chkdsk /f /r > Press Y > Then restart your computer and let it do the check

To run SFC:

Start > Run >Type cmd > Type sfc /scannow > It will then run through and check your system files and prompt you to insert your OS disk if needed.

Not likely.
Help will flood you once we know your system.
Until then, avoid wild guesses, or the possibility of greater ;problems is as likley as a fix.

Not likely?

Interesting, considering you said yourself that we would only be guessing since we don't have all the information, but yet you can rule out fixes. Checking your file structure is a good place to start for problems related to the one described here along with Malware and has been productive in my experience as a service engineer

But, who am I to know right?

I shall leave this one to you

We need to know your brand and model, and age of the computer... as well as configuration: hard drive make and size, memory make and size, cooling system, and power supply brand and power rating.
Otherwise, we are just guessing without a reference point.

HP pavillion dv9700 notbook pc
running windows vista ultimate 6.0
processor: intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 2.4 GHz
memory: 3070 MB ram

nvidia geforce 8600m GS video card

i hope this is enough if not i'd be happy to provide more i just need to be instructed where to find it :X trying to help as best i can and thank you for your quick attention

I can imagine how annoying it must be.

Please follow Raybays suggestion as well, its needed information

You may be missing some vital system files, you could run either a chkdsk or a SFC (system file checker). It is up to you, chkdsk requires you to restart the computer and SFC requires your operating system disk if it needs to replace any files.

To run chkdsk.

Start > Run > type cmd > Type chkdsk /f /r > Press Y > Then restart your computer and let it do the check

To run SFC:

Start > Run >Type cmd > Type sfc /scannow > It will then run through and check your system files and prompt you to insert your OS disk if needed.

Hi snowchick7669 and yogzula

If i might help clarify....
I think it would be good to run BOTH chkdsk AND sfc as snowhick7669 suggests! Do chkdsk first. The commands do two different things:
chkdsk - verifies the drive's filesystem (assuring no filesystem corruption) and identifies any bad sectors on the drive (and removes them from further usage)
sfc - will check for system file integrity / missing system files

These tools make LOTS of sense to me! And make the MOST sense of things to do first

And note to yogzula: that chkdsk can take a looong time to run. Don't interrupt it. Allow the % complete display to remain the same up to 30+ minutes (i.e. do NOT think it's hanging)

i ran chkdsk over night, my problem still persists. nothing was changed :(

perhaps i'll try running sfk today if i can find my OS disk. perhaps i can just run it regardless to see if i have any problems that actually require the disk.

any other ideas?

You might also try booting into Safe Mode to at least see if the problem re-occurs after only minimal program startups. (if it happens to work in Safe mode but not Normal mode, you might be able to track it down to a specific startup)

/* edit */ btw.. are you running vista SP2??? you have all Windows updates applied?

perhaps i'll try running sfk today if i can find my OS disk. perhaps i can just run it regardless to see if i have any problems that actually require the disk.
Its just a check, you don't need the cd unless it finds something bad, then you can go off worrying about a cd :p.

You might also try booting into Safe Mode to at least see if the problem re-occurs after only minimal program startups. (if it happens to work in Safe mode but not Normal mode, you might be able to track it down to a specific startup)

/* edit */ btw.. are you running vista SP2??? you have all Windows updates applied?

my windows updates are automatic and im running 64 bit vista ultimate 6.0, according to dxdiag.

ive been thinking that it could possibly be a virus. my scan with Mcafee gets nothing but apparantly mcafee isnt very reliable? is there any free scans any of you could suggest for me?

my windows updates are automatic and im running 64 bit vista ultimate 6.0, according to dxdiag
<snip>
Hmmm... Click the button within dxdiag to save your dxdiag info to a file. Then open the file to copy/paste just dxdiag's info about your Windows version into your post..

Reason: Version 6.0 isn;t sufficient. Vista SP2 should be (i think) Version 6.0.6002! So we should be careful to be certain if you're running
> Vista original release or
> Vista SP1 (which is v6.0.6001) or
> Vista SP2 (which is v6.0.6002)

ive been thinking that it could possibly be a virus. my scan with Mcafee gets nothing but apparantly mcafee isnt very reliable? is there any free scans any of you could suggest for me?
Avira generally comes to the top recommendations at techspot, latest version of course.

service pack 1, as it appears.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/14/2009, 23:52:40
Machine name: xxxxx
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 3167MB used, 3186MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

So very next step, run windows update and install SP2. After SP2 is installed keep running Windows Update again and again until it finally comes back saying "NO more updates"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back