Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekaonija

Hi, I am having this problem where my computer is now constantly freezing during gaming and when I've used the Hammer editor program; for Source. (Counter strike etc.)

When I last reformatted my Pc about 3 months ago It would freeze up once or twice a week, and that was fine but recently It has been out of control and It happens almost every 5-10 minutes when In game or using the Hammer editor.

Does anyone know how I can stop this or find out what is causing this?

The games that I am currently playing all freeze by either:
-Just plain freezing
-The sound stops working, then when I try to exit the game my computer freezes. (Game runs silently but still runs normally)
or
-The mouse and keyboard stops responding.

Everything runs normally before any of these happens but for some reason it just does one of those 3 things out of nowhere.

Counter Strike: Source and Dark Messiah are the main ones I play ( Both of which use Steam, and the Source engine.) Hammer editor also uses this, and other games like Command and Conquer Generals.

I am unsure if it might just be my computer in general or maybe if its software problems but because its doing it so often now and I've had to restart it the manual way so many times its is getting worse.

Computer 3 Years old

Processor: AMD Sempron 2200+

Motherboard: M7VIG 400
-Sound: Onboard (C-media)

Graphics Card: Radeon 9250, 128Mb, AGP 8X

Disk Drive: Maxtor 6Y080L0

Memory: 512 Megabytes (256 X2)
1: Apacer 256Mb DDR PC2700 CL2
2: VData 256MB DDR333 PC2700 2.5

Internet:
DSL high speed internet from Bell (Which reminds me when in game my connection also gets lost and I have to restart to get it back connected)

Other stuff taken by Fresh Diagnose

Sensor Chip

Chip Name IT8705F/8712F
Manufacturer Inside Technologies
Access Mode ISA at Address 290h

Voltages With a Novia MX 350 ATX, 350W power supply

CPU Core 1.55V
+2.5V 1.46V
+3.3V 3.01V
+5V 4.92V
+12V 11.46V
-12V -12.60V
-5V -5.25V
+5V Standby 4.84V
VBat Battery 3.22V

Cooling Devices

CPU Fan 3947 rpm

Temperatures

Motherboard 17°C
Power / Aux 27°C

Start troubleshooting by testing your memory. Download and run Memtest86 several passes. Memtest86 and it's instructions for use is available on this site or from a Google search

What do you see in the Event Viewer:
eventviewer.png

theres a possibilty it might be your graphics card overheating.

i get the same problems, and this week im sending the card away

when i go on games like need for speed underground 2 or photoshop cs2 sometimes the mouse and keyboard freeze or everything freezes and then i have to manual restart and you cant just press the shut down button as it just doesnt work

try a differant graphics adapter

Thanks, I looked in the Event Viewer and noticed a lot, and as you can see now there occurring like every 2 minutes xD. Threw out the whole list there is 3 main ones that occur.

System

Well I looked at cleaning my comp also, and I only cleaned the memory which only had little dust in the first place but I put them back in and now the freezing is worse then ever, almost every 2-10 min regardless of what I'm doing...except so far surfing the web... I have no clue whats happening, and now I cant play any games, they wont even start up. And If I try to do 2 things at once I either freeze up or one of those stops responding...

Do you guys think that its a hardware problem or software? Oh and should I try things like taking out my graphics card to see how it runs, or test to see how well it works with 1 of the memory sticks or none?

Double click on that warning and that error and see what they tell you. The 'information' ones are nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks a lot SNGX1275, From what its telling me its time for a new hard drive.

I've now taken the computer apart, cleaned it, switched the memory sticks around and noticed the graphics card and hard drive were very hot even after 10 minutes of turning it off. I stuck the Hard drive in a plastic ziplock bag and threw it in the fridge while I was cleaning the Pc. When It was ready I pulled it out to put it back in the computer when I realised that my hard drive was really cold and this stupid Canadian weather was really hot and humid, In other words a lot of condensation was about to take place. That scared me for awhile... but I dried it off quickly and let it warm up a bit before exposing it to the air xD All I can say is its working great now, I've been running it for a couple of hours now and no problems yet =D
Guess it was just hot for the most part =p Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back