TechSpot

French court convicts first internet user over Hadopi anti-piracy law

By Leeky
Sep 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A French court has ordered a man to pay €150 for breaking the country's controversial three-strike anti-piracy law, Hadopi, despite his soon to be ex-wife testifying under oath that she was responsible for downloading the two pirated songs in question.

Read more

2. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Reminds me of 'Alan' from two and a half men where he always gets screwed with no fault of his.
    There was a article sometime back stating people stopped pricacy after one or two strikes,
    I think they used up thier strikes and then found ways to not get caught.

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 944   +110

Wait, how does two songs equal 3 warnings? Or do they just ignore the material that was downloaded in the first 3 strikes and prosecute in regards to the 4th instance? This whole thing just smells of corruption and bureaucratic non sense.

4. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 407   +78

5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

@Adhmuz
    It was prolly after their third strike. To you it smells. But the ppl in power call it theft. The ppl who make the laws call it theft. The ppl who make the products being pirated call it theft. Its pretty hard to fight the system of laws by commiting lawlessness. The only way this changes is if ppl WORK towards that goal.
    In France they gave the individual 3 chances to stop. They didnt and got busted. End of story.

6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

That's about $100 per Rihanna song, probably available at 99 cents thru iTunes. I wonder how much of that $200 will make its way past the lawyers and into Rihanna's pockets. I recall reading that in the U.K. every bit of a huge fine would go to the lawyers. Nice racket.

7. h4expo

h4expo TS Rookie Posts: 16

dont you mean "le sigh"? :D

8. otester

otester TS Rookie Posts: 42

Should have got a VPN after 1st warning.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.