French telecom Iliad abandons plans to acquire T-Mobile

Shawn Knight

Staff member

french iliad t-mobile acquisition uncarrier john legere

Ownership of the nation’s fourth largest wireless carrier won’t be changing hands anytime soon as French telecommunications company Iliad has abandoned its pursuit of T-Mobile.

In a press release on the matter, the Iliad Group said it has put an end to its project of acquiring T-Mobile because parent company Deutsche Telekom and select board members of T-Mobile US have refused to entertain their latest offer.

For those not up to speed, Iliad first expressed interest in purchasing the Uncarrier this past July. T-Mobile, however, rejected their offer to buy a 56.6 percent stake in the company. Determined to make a deal, Iliad regrouped and put a second offer on the table which involved more cash and a larger stake.

Specifically, Iliad’s second and final offer was for 67 percent of the company at around $36 per share. That represents a sizable premium over the $27.05 that T-Mobile is trading at as of writing but apparently it still wasn’t enough for Deutsche Telekom to consider.

Iliad said they had the ambition to accelerate T-Mobile’s transformation, notably by saving more than $2 billion in annual costs which would have created significant value for both Iliad’s and T-Mobile’s shareholders.

Most would agree that Deutsche Telekom has been looking to offload T-Mobile for quite some time but given the company’s renewed momentum and subscriber growth under outspoken CEO John Legere, that may no longer be the case.

Permalink to story.

"Most would agree that Deutsche Telekom has been looking to offload T-Mobile for quite some time but given the company’s renewed momentum and subscriber growth under outspoken CEO John Legere, that may no longer be the case."

I have my hopes up in thinking that the people in charge would see this turn around and figure out that price gouging is less effective than pricing something competitively, but I doubt it.

Back