Frequency Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariela

Once again I'm having computer trouble and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

I recently purchased a new motherboard, CPU and Graphics card and everything was working fine until I tried playing online Warcraft3. After trying that my screen has started going to a black screen with a box that says "24k/ohz Frequency is out of range" - I have experienced this once or twice before but it seemed to fix itself after I unplug and replug in the graphics cord that leads to the monitor. So from that experiencing i'm guessing the problem is with the graphics card, if I'm wrong - please don't hesitate to correct me, a brand new graphics card with problems isn't a nice thing to have afterall.

Oh I should point out that it is only that screen that comes up, after awhile of the message being up my monitor will put itself to hibernation mode but the computer remains turned on (I can still hear music and everything, I just can't see a thing)

Please help me.

Tried that, originally my resolution was at 800x600 and it refreshed at 75hz which seemed to work well enough before I had to replace everything in my computer. I increased the resolution to 1024x768 and it seemed to be ok for awhile, when it black screened no message came up although the monitor did turn off right before turning back on again. I thought about the refresh rate and maybe it was too high so I decreased it to 60hz but it started all over again.

I didn't mention earlier but I was thinking maybe it is the graphics card since the reason I had to buy a new motherboard/cpu was because the power supply blew which I'm told can damage everything within the computer. Other than gaming issues, I'm not really having any other troubles with the computer.. no lines or distorted images etc, which makes me think maybe it isn't.. but I dunno

"Out of Range" errors have to do with incorrect settings, and should be fixable. Have you looked through your manual to see what is possible for your combination of video graphics and monitor.
Please post what you have for video graphics, monitor, and software.

My graphics card didn't come with a manual so I can't really read it and see the combinations for my graphics and monitor. I've got a Philips 1055 monitor and a Powercolour Radeon 9600 SE AGP Graphics card. Both of which were working together before I had to change the motherboard. I can have 800x600
1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x720, 1290x768, 1280x960 Resolutions and 75, 70, 62, 60hz refresh rates.

If you use Direct3D in games, you could try (temporarily, to see if it works) to force the refresh rate to something with dxdiag's option in "More help" tab.

Well I tried forcing the resolution with Directx like suggested, but other than making the game last a little longer and slightly changing the frequency message (Originally "24k/ohz Frequency is out of range" and now "34k/43hz Frequency is out of range") It didn't fix or even help the problem.

I think maybe I should just buy another graphics card, I've already gone three weeks without games since my comp blew and each day I'm trying to find out whats wrong with my current one, is another day without World of Warcraft :D

Anyway, thank you Mictlantecuhtli and Raybay for atleast trying to help. Appreciate it.

:wave:

I don't play Warcraft 3, so I'll ask this question.....

Are there specific graphics settings within the game that you can control as far as resolution and refresh? Is this happening with any other games or applications or just Warcraft 3?

I know there is a resolution thing ingame but I'm not sure about a refresh rate option.. Since I don't have much of a harddrive at the moment, I don't have very many games to test it on so as far as I can tell it's only happening with warcraft 3.. though there have been 2 or 3 times where it's happened when I'm just listening to music but that seems to have stopped.. Only other game I've played is space colony and it's never shutdown on me yet.

You may have a problem with your video card, any frequency in kHz has to do with your Horizontal refresh rate, any frequency in Hz is Vertical refresh rate. Your monitor should have specs that say what range your monitor will support. This is usually not a problem with newer monitors because they will sync to most frequencies that current computers put out. If your power supply failed it may have taken the frequency generator out on your video card. I'm not positive but i think you need a new video card.

Thanks for the help, luckily my graphics card is still under warranty so getting a new one isn't really a probelm.. On a side note, the message I kept getting has stopped now.. though my monitor hasn't stopped turning off so the problem hasn't completely gone :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back