Frequent and seemingly random BSODs in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I've been having frequent (1 or 2 per night) BSODs and I've been trying to find the problem for the last two months. I'm starting to run out of ideas and I really hope you guys can help! Here are my system specs

System Specs:
ASUS P5Q
Core2Duo E8400
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)-OCZ2P800R22GK
ASUS 8800GT (512) PCI-E 2.0 - EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M
Antec NeoPower 550 PSU
Pioneer SATAII DVD-R/RW – DVR-215D
WD500AAKS-75YGAO SATAII
WD3000JD-19KLB0 SATA
Vista Ultimate 32-Bit (Service Pack 1)

I put together my system in July and had it running stable for about a month. I went on vacation and my wife used my computer and didn’t shut it down, but instead she put it in sleep mode for 4 days. When I got back, I started getting BSODs.

I went through your troubleshooting guide and did the following:

1. Updated to latest video card drivers, motherboard chipset drivers, and bios – No change

2. Checked the event log. Every time I start up my computer it shows the following errors:
a. Warning – Event ID 4226 - TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
b. Error – Event ID 15016 – Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos
c. Error – Event ID 7000 – DS1410D service failed to start
d. Error – Event ID 7034 - The ATK Fast User Switch Service service terminated unexpectedly
e. Error – Event ID 7026 - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt
I looked up the errors and it said to ignore “b”, “c” is probably caused by “d”, “d” is probably caused by ASUS installing it’s own FUSS (not sure what the implications of that are…), and “e” occurs because I don’t have any PS2 devices (I have USB mouse and KB)

3. Power supply should be able to handle my system – extreme.outervision.com calculated that I would need 240w and my PSU is 550w. From SpeedFan : +12V: 11.25V

4. System Temps – I checked the temps using Everest and noticed that my Cores were idling at about 50C and shot up to 85C at full load with my stock heatsink and fan. I then installed a ZALMAN CNPS9500 and the temps dropped. Now it idles at 35c and goes up to 50C at max load Here are my current temps from Speedfan:
a. System : 34C
b. CPU: 25C
c. Aux: 23C
d. Core 0: 42C
e. Core 1: 41C
My 8800GT idles at about 50C and doesn’t appear to overheat.
Despite lowering the CPU temp, the BSODs continued.

5. System restore: I waited too long to try this option. I no longer have the option of going back to the day when the BSODs started. The restore points don’t go back far enough. I did however check Windows Update and uninstalled the Windows Update and Hotfix from the day the BSODs started, but the BSODs continued.

6. RAM: I tried different configurations of my Ram sticks and even tried different ram. I originally had CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - TWIN2X4096-6400C5 but it wasn’t on the QVL for my motherboard. I then tried CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX which is on the QVL for ASUS-P5Q Pro, Extreme…..all of the other boards in this family but the Corsair website doesn’t list my motherboard at all. I finally bought OCZ ram (OCZ2P800R22GK) which is on the QVL, but I still get BSODs.

7. Run disk check: no problems

8. Memtest86+: many passes with no errors

9. Completed the pagefile fix but the BSODs continued.

10. I ran a system file check and the log stated that there were four files that it couldn’t repair:
a. RstrtMgr.dll
b. img16.jpg
c. img11.jpg
d. browa.ttf
e. PurblePlace.exe

I went through the long process of manually replacing RstrtMgr.dll from my Vista installation disk and the error was gone in the next system file check. The BSODs continued and a short while later RstrtMgr.dll showed up in a system file check with the same error.

11. I tried putting my old videocard in (ASUS EN5900/TVD/N/128M/A) uninstalled the old video drivers and installed new ones for the old card, but it made no difference.

12. I ran two virus scans (Norton and Kapersky) and it didn’t find anything

13. I ran CCleaner but the BSODs continued.

The BSODs seem to happen randomly, but I can get them to happen more frequently when I’m downloading or watching video on the internet. I can usually get it to happen 5-10 minutes into downloading or watching TV shows. I updated the LAN drivers for my motherboard and updated the drivers for my Belkin Wireless G USB adapter (F5D7050) but the BSODs continued. Quite a few of my recent BSODs have pointed to nvlddmkm.sys, but I’m wondering if that has something to do with the way I’ve been testing my fixes. I usually make a change (hardware or software) then I play an online TV show to see if I can crash it. I haven’t made it through an entire show yet.

Please help! The only other options I see are to replace my CPU or motherboard. I’ve attached a bunch of minidumps (latest is OldDumps9) and an exel file with some information I’ve been collecting from each dump.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Too many Minidumps, and some are quite old (a month back)
You need to just attach the latest Minidumps (and maximum 5 not 25!)

Anyway after randomly checking, it states Memory (which you have commented on already) and USB Network driver (ideally use Ethernet instead, and remove any USB network drivers like athrusb.sys)

You did run Memtest fully? https://www.techspot.com/vb/post653029-21.html

You're awesome! I thought it might have been my USB Wireless card a little while back, so I unplugged it as a test but I still got BSODs. What I forgot to do was uninstall the drivers for it. Thanks! I haven't had a crash since! I was able to get through an entire internet TV show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back