TechSpot

Frequent loss/dropped connection on LAN

By monton
Feb 3, 2007
  1. Greetings folks, I have a network/connection problem that has me perplexed and pissed off.

I have a Netgear RP614 4 port router. I have that plugged into a D-Link DGS-1216T gigabit smart switch and 7 PCs plugged into the switch. Of the 7, 5 are XP Pro, 1 XP Home, 1 Linux (Ubuntu 6.10). The computers are split into 2 workgroups. Group "1" is connected to a server over our broadband (comcast) connection. These work fine and remain connected. The Linux computer remains connected. The other 3, Group "2" do not. 2 XP Pro and 1 XP home. These 3 computers have been running through the RP614 for a few years without any problem except for a few rare occasions when I had to reset (turn off and on) the router.

After adding the 3 new computers and the new switch I started to have frequent loss of connection on the original computers. The taskbar icon says Connected but I can't connect to the web or email. I right click the icon and hit repair. Sometimes that works. As often as not I have to use cmd -
    ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew to reconnect. This can be as often as every 10 minutes.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to proceed. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?
    Thanks
    Monton

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +590

make sure you UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!

I have that device and 1-Mac, 1-XP/Home, 1-Linux system w/o problems

3. monton

monton TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 108

Router?

I take it you mean the router. I have the latest firmware for this version. I'm not convinced it is a hardware issue. Around the same time I added the switch to the mix I installed ZoneAlarm Pro security suite. I installed ZoneAlarm on my home computer and started to get the dropped connection there so I uninstalled it and installed Avast. The dropped connection stopped.
    The other 3 working computers "group 1" all have ZoneAlarm Pro without drops. - Just adds to my confusion.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Monton

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,022   +590

I suggested the update as a switch has no configurable software, but adds more
    connectivity to the router and thus can easily overload it. I found issues with
    mine until it was updated -- but as you attest yours is up-to-date, it *may not* applicable :)

Host Software (ie Zonealarm) should not have been the cause and if it truely is,
    then I move the question again to update, as the fireware is buggy (imo).

My firmware is v2: 5.20 _RC3NA Apr 23 2004

As I don't have Zonealarm, I can't replicate your issue either -- sorry.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Do you happen to run any p2p software that could be overloading the router with connections?

6. monton

monton TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 108

I don't know what p2p software is. Why would I run it? Can you give me some examples?
    Thanks, Monton

Oh yeah, I'm still perplexed about only losing my connection on one workgroup and not the other. A router/switch problem should effect all shouldn't it?
    So, the connection problem seems more likely software based?
    Suggestions appreciated

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

p2p software usually comes in the form of internet-based file sharing utilities.

p2p software includes (but certainly not limited to) Kazaa, Bittorrent, Limwire, Ares, WinMX, eDonkey, Gnutella and much more...

Here's a comprehensive list by network:
    http://www.zeropaid.com/programs/index.php?scatid=58

p2p is a concern because using these networks require a lot of bandwidth and generate a lot of network traffic... this can cause routers to 'crap out', slow network issues and more problems.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.