TechSpot

Frequent loss/dropped connection on LAN

By monton
Feb 3, 2007
  1. Greetings folks, I have a network/connection problem that has me perplexed and pissed off.

I have a Netgear RP614 4 port router. I have that plugged into a D-Link DGS-1216T gigabit smart switch and 7 PCs plugged into the switch. Of the 7, 5 are XP Pro, 1 XP Home, 1 Linux (Ubuntu 6.10). The computers are split into 2 workgroups. Group "1" is connected to a server over our broadband (comcast) connection. These work fine and remain connected. The Linux computer remains connected. The other 3, Group "2" do not. 2 XP Pro and 1 XP home. These 3 computers have been running through the RP614 for a few years without any problem except for a few rare occasions when I had to reset (turn off and on) the router.

After adding the 3 new computers and the new switch I started to have frequent loss of connection on the original computers. The taskbar icon says Connected but I can't connect to the web or email. I right click the icon and hit repair. Sometimes that works. As often as not I have to use cmd -
    ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew to reconnect. This can be as often as every 10 minutes.
    I'm at a loss as to what to do or how to proceed. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?
    Thanks
    Monton

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

make sure you UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!

I have that device and 1-Mac, 1-XP/Home, 1-Linux system w/o problems

3. monton

monton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

Router?

I take it you mean the router. I have the latest firmware for this version. I'm not convinced it is a hardware issue. Around the same time I added the switch to the mix I installed ZoneAlarm Pro security suite. I installed ZoneAlarm on my home computer and started to get the dropped connection there so I uninstalled it and installed Avast. The dropped connection stopped.
    The other 3 working computers "group 1" all have ZoneAlarm Pro without drops. - Just adds to my confusion.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Monton

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

I suggested the update as a switch has no configurable software, but adds more
    connectivity to the router and thus can easily overload it. I found issues with
    mine until it was updated -- but as you attest yours is up-to-date, it *may not* applicable :)

Host Software (ie Zonealarm) should not have been the cause and if it truely is,
    then I move the question again to update, as the fireware is buggy (imo).

My firmware is v2: 5.20 _RC3NA Apr 23 2004

As I don't have Zonealarm, I can't replicate your issue either -- sorry.

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Do you happen to run any p2p software that could be overloading the router with connections?

6. monton

monton TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

I don't know what p2p software is. Why would I run it? Can you give me some examples?
    Thanks, Monton

Oh yeah, I'm still perplexed about only losing my connection on one workgroup and not the other. A router/switch problem should effect all shouldn't it?
    So, the connection problem seems more likely software based?
    Suggestions appreciated

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

p2p software usually comes in the form of internet-based file sharing utilities.

p2p software includes (but certainly not limited to) Kazaa, Bittorrent, Limwire, Ares, WinMX, eDonkey, Gnutella and much more...

Here's a comprehensive list by network:
    http://www.zeropaid.com/programs/index.php?scatid=58

p2p is a concern because using these networks require a lot of bandwidth and generate a lot of network traffic... this can cause routers to 'crap out', slow network issues and more problems.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.